Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Field Target - target ranges

perry190 Guest

Hunter Field Target - target ranges

please excuse my ignorance but in HFT comps what sort of ranges are the targets generally set out at? or do they vary greatly?

Trying to budget for either a single or two gun set up and obviously accurate range will be a decider for each weapon/needs.

I know us 'newbies' must be a pain, but I'm sure as with everyone when they start out, I'm just trying to endeviour to get the right gun/guns as far as I can see the options as a new starter
    many thanks in anticipation.

P

Gibbon Guest

UK HFT rules

you'll find 'em here Sir
    http://ukahft.co.uk/2006/rules.htm

perry190 Guest
    cheers matey

so a max of 45 yds accurate range required for a suitable weapon for HFT

thanks again

pixybasher Guest
    Our Hunter targets are in here...

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8...26048001xz.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5...25568004or.jpg

I think our longest target is approx. 45 yards away.... uphill about 45 degrees, can be a real bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by perry190
    Trying to budget for either a single or two gun set up
    I know the privledged few have been allowed a loader to accompany them in field (Master Huckle) but I'm pretty sure you're only allowed the one gun...

I went to most of the HFT meets last year ,never seen anybody carrying two rifles ,so think its safe to say your only allowed one rifle.
    QUARRY TEAM MEMBER 4 TIMES UKAHFT TEAM WINNERS .AA S400 GINB FT STOCK TASCO 2.5X10X42 AA TX200HC TASCO 2.5X10X42
    STAY SAFE AND HAPPY SHOOTING

perry190 Guest
    :lol:

I'm only referring to if I needed to buy two weapons for my use, not use two for HFT

I initially fell in love with both the Skan and TDR (or bullpup'd type gun) due to their compact size (packed and unpacked) and original style, but if i'm to give HFT a go (only casual nothing overly serious) then 45yds will probs be a be it optimistic for either of these guns as far as I can make out.

so looks like I will need to rethink my choice for one general weapon or eventually buy two different types of gun as it seems many of you do.

As I'm new to the sport I'm unlikely to find a suitable hunting ground for quite some time so HFT will be the easier option in the short term. Last thing i want to do is buy a cheap general gun only to find its not ideally suited to either option and consequently a waste of cash in the long term.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Perry,

Take a look here: http://www.ukahft.co.uk/2005/R1quarry.htm

It will give you an idea of the rifles top HFT competitors choose to use.

perry190 Guest
    thanks for that, thats very usefull

I think I'm right in thinking that the 3 most popular guns would be AAS400, Daystate Mk3 and LG100

now I think the LG100 is a dedicated target rifle so not my cup of tea at present, where the other two can be general as well?

so if I was to opt for a Daystate Air Ranger which is deemed a good hunting rifle by most of the shops, would it be on a par with the mk 3 for HFT work?

.177 is best for HFT, be prepared to shoot out to 55yards on some occasions.
    Single shot is easier, and cheaper. The AA S400 is a popular choice to get started. A good scope is just as important as the gun. Try and visit, or join a club, you can try different gear, and get lots of advice. (some of it useful..! )

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

perry190 Guest
    yep was thinking of sticking with 177 for now and then maybe if I added a skan to my stable later I could opt for 22 for more of a 'wack' for ratting etc

''''advice'''' has been my major problem at present most people I've conversed with have quite strong opinions on each weapon in question and these often conflict completely!

in regards to the take down range I've been told dont touch this it's cr#p and the next day told you want one of these its the dogs danglies! :LOL:

I mention the Air Ranger because I've held on of these and it felt comfortable for me, its not ideal length wise to fit in my boot (small car) but as I learn more and more this becomes less and less important for the right gun. (if needs be this can be sprted with a skan later)

I also like the Daystate Mk 3 FT-R but unlike the Air Ranger it wouldnt be suited to hunting as far as I can see .

As said ideally I would like an HFT gun that I could use hunting if the opportunity arose in the short term until I decided to have dedicated hunting/HFT guns (may never of course)

Gary C Guest
    MK3 is the top HFT rifle

Both the RT and the Sport are excellent HFT rifles / hunting rigs

The 400 is an outstanding cheaper buy.

Hi,
    I own an AA 410k regulated by Ben Taylor and a Daystate MK3 FT (not latest model). The Daystate has been set up to take a magazine and has a silencer ( the little daystate carbonfibre one).

I have shot HFT with both and hunt with both. They both do the job well even if I am not the greatest shot.

I do have to say that I have had more success at HFT and hunting since using the MK3 which proberbly has more to do with more practise than the gun but confidence has a lot to do with it.

So one gun can do both at least in my case the MK3 does and the 410 hardly ever comes out of its case.

JohnR

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by perry190
    I've held on of these and it felt comfortable for me
    This is one good rule to follow, you are more likely to shoot better with a gun that is comfortable but try out as many you can before you commit to buying one.

Any of the Daystates are suitable as they can be used both single and multi-shot although I don't like the magazines very much (I use an X2-R for HFT).

Another one to consider is the HW100 which has a good trigger and single-shot adapter.

The new Theoben E-type looks designed for HFT and can also be single or multi-shot. However, it's a bit too new to be sure yet and I'd probably wait until the end of the season when the guys at Shepreth will have really put them to the test.

Jonathan