Thread: which calibre?

which calibre?

Evening all.
    Now i dont what to start up the great calibre debate, .177 or .22,but im thinking of selling my much loved .22 for a .177, I mainly shoot rabbits and occasinally pigeons/crows.
    I always take head shots out to about 40 yds max, I just wondered how successful the .177 is on head shot rabbits ? , ive heard once shot by a .177 pellet, rabbits can sometimes manage to dive/scramble wounded for cover.
    any advice much welcomed
    ian

.177 will do everything at 12ft/lbs and at that power is the best calibre,its easier to get to grips with and if you hit the vital area's it will kill as humanely as a .22.

if you want fac power then .22 is the calibre to go for.

.20 cal would be more popular if a better choice of pellet was available.

Cruiser Guest

Does anyone know what rifles are no availible in .02. I am soon getting a air rifle after not having one for many years. In the past I have had both 177 and 22 so the sound of .02 would be the one I would like to get. I had the AA s400 in mind but however AA have told me that they have no intention of introducing .02

Regards

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser
    Does anyone know what rifles are no availible in .02. I am soon getting a air rifle after not having one for many years. In the past I have had both 177 and 22 so the sound of .02 would be the one I would like to get. I had the AA s400 in mind but however AA have told me that they have no intention of introducing .02
    Regards
    Theoben certainly make .20 rifles both gas ram and pre charge. In 12 ft lb .20 work well and most are accurate with H & N FTT pellets which cost about the same as .22.
    Unfortunately at FAC level, only the most expensive pellets-Crosman Premier and H & N Baracuda-seem to work well.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

If you mean ".20" then Theoben is probably your best bet.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

frogandtoad is offline Here only for the Mods' amusement...
    im not suprised they aint doing .02 calibre, bloody small pellets

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    I have seen .177s over penetrate causing the rabbit to make a run for it and die down a hole but a change in pellet can remedy that. I use a .20 rapid and it's perfect calibre for hunting. Bisley superfields are good hunting pellets in .20 as they have a dimpled dome (not a true hollowpoint) and hit with some whack.