Thread: Hornet power curve

Hornet power curve

Hi all
    Would be interested to hear from any Hornet owners, blue printed or not what the fps spread is like over a full charge.
    Thanks

Dave Brayford just spent a day on my sons Hornet ironing out all the problems which include....

poor barrel fixing
    bent breech [stress relieved]
    hammer drag
    hammer spring
    cr4ppy trigger
    lousy moderator adaptor

now its done i can tell you its less than 5fpe between 'competition' shots which tally a grand 40 No. in .177 with a 200 bar fill.
    232 bar makes it about 48 shots but bigger power curve

the gun is exceptionally accurate - as good as my PH6 custom !
    SCR Custom - rifles by Dave Brayford

"there's no point in asking... you'll get no reply" - Johnny Rotten

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I thought a Hornet was regged hence no power curve until it drops below reg pressure ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

get one and see for yourself
    SCR Custom - rifles by Dave Brayford

"there's no point in asking... you'll get no reply" - Johnny Rotten

That's what I thought too Jon, but reviewing the test results in AGW by NJ, I thought it looked like std valving. Could be a typo error though.

civvy Guest
    I have a FAC Hornet rifle in .22" cal. This is also fitted with a regulator and is very accurate. It is running at 865 fps with AA pellets and shoots 38-40 shots per fill. When crono'd the first 30 shots resulted in a spread of only 5fps and over the next 10 velocity increased by 15fps above the average and then went down again to 865fps. I had a small modification made to mine to enable me to alter velocity without taking it out of the stock. 6 full turns reduces power to just over 12ft/lbs which gives me over 160 shots.

dcy Guest
    bl##dy hell!! i was gonna get a S10 but a few told me they were sh#t...so i have been looking at the hornet instead......but now im not so sure.....i dont want it for FT i just want to do a bit of hunting with it....are they not recommended??...

mines fine
    Regards
    Seggy

Mine is also fine, now has settled to 11.2fpe with Daystate 4.51's very accurate pity about the shooter

Nev

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services

The Golden Shot Guest
    Mines also fine its shooting 11.45flbs and dont vary more than 5fps which i put down to pellets

Enzo Guest
    Originally posted by BuddyBoy
    I thought a Hornet was regged hence no power curve until it drops below reg pressure ?
    virtually all regulators will considerably flatten the power curve but not make it a straight line..

ATB Gordon

Enzo Guest
    Originally posted by jools27666
    Dave Brayford just spent a day on my sons Hornet ironing out all the problems which include....

poor barrel fixing
    bent breech [stress relieved]
    hammer drag
    hammer spring
    cr4ppy trigger
    lousy moderator adaptor

now its done i can tell you its less than 5fpe between 'competition' shots which tally a grand 40 No. in .177 with a 200 bar fill.
    232 bar makes it about 48 shots but bigger power curve

the gun is exceptionally accurate - as good as my PH6 custom !
    nice work! could you say what exactly he did to cure the hammer drag? I know theres some hornets around which suffer from sticky hammers.

also interested in what was wrong with the breech?

and what was done to the spring.

just being nosey!

ATB Gordon

virtually all regulators will considerably flatten the power curve but not make it a straight line..
    I have Taylored mk1 Rapid here that has run a 200 shot charge through with a max variation of 12fps end to end. Tis neither up nor down, just fades away after coming off the reg pressure.

Shaggy Guest
    The only person who can say if the rifles works is YOU!
    if you can have a play with someone's that will save you time & money in the long run.

If you grin like a chesishire cat after playing for it, get it, if you come away from shooting it feeling disipointed DON'T GET IT BECAUSE YOU WILL SELL IT IN NO TIME TO BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

best bit of advice is .always try before you buy & when you do try to get someone to come along who knows a bit more about rifles then yourself

I have the Carbine in .22, and I love it, it's consistant, when I took delivery of it I did a 20shot string over a decent Chrony & there was no FPS spread at all.

I have only just got the scope back for mine as it couldn't release the lens from the end cap, so have it sorted I can play with it some more.

Now all's well with the scope, I have got to get it sorted for LV becasue I hope to use it in the night shoot I have more faith in that Hornet Rig then a lot of my other rifles Honest

hope it helps?

Darren

civvy Guest
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Enzo
    [B]nice work! could you say what exactly he did to cure the hammer drag? I know theres some hornets around which suffer from sticky hammers.

I would advise getting in touch with BSA. Always found their after sales service second to none.