Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW77

Weihrauch HW77

Now I remember when these first came out and how they swept the board at FT because they were just soooo good. Read JT's review in AGW this month and it brought back many memories of ones I had shot. And bloody good they were, std, tuned or with custom stocks.

However I've never owned one, probably never will and just don't like them, why I don't know. I suppose like many predudices its unfounded, but I can't get excited by a 77.

I lump the 97 in with this as well but like the look of the 57

Does anyone agree or is it just me.

Hi I have a really nice 57 which has been tuned and its a relly lovely rifle accurate and sweet to use,after having the chance to fire a 97 in 177 bore on a field target range I was very impressed and recently purchased a cheap 22 97 its a bit rough around the edges but is very accurate and despite having had a hard life shoots really well,a real tribute to the build quality of Weihrauch

Looks like just you coburn!

I got an HW77K .177 for xmas and it gives me the horn.

Honest

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

However I've never owned one, probably never will and just don't like them, why I don't know. I suppose like many predudices its unfounded, but I can't get excited by a 77.
    Blasphemy

All down to personal perference I suppose. Can't say I've met anyone else who said they didn't like the '77 but I'm sure you're not (quite) alone.I sometimes think that them being so common makes them a little harder to get excited about, although they are popular for a reason.

ATB,

Craig
    My name is Craig and I am addicted to multitools

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    i remember when i was about 12.....

and my older brother's mate came round our house with a 77.

back then all we had was sharp innova's

i did dribble over that ol 77...and still do now.

at 13 i owned a venom varminter 77. now back in 85...i was well pleased.i just wish i had that gun now i sold it at jefferies gun shop in guildford in 1989/90...id give my right arm now for that gun

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Now I remember when these first came out and how they swept the board at FT because they were just soooo good. Read JT's review in AGW this month and it brought back many memories of ones I had shot. And bloody good they were, std, tuned or with custom stocks.

I lump the 97 in with this as well but like the look of the 57

Does anyone agree or is it just me.

I love them

but if we all liked the same gun the world would be a very boring place.

I have two MK2 77k's, one in .22", the other in .177".

The .177 has never been apart except for the removal of the antibear trap as I found it to be a right pain.

My .22" 77k was horrible to shoot when I got it so I decided to have a go at tuning it, so in the 80's I bought a Mike Wade ptfe piston head, square section mainspring and a large reamer.
    After doing all the tuning the gun was still horible so I threw it into the gun cupboard and forgot about it.
    Ten years later I was reading an old Airgunworld article on tuning where it said that "PTFE piston washers need to be dry fired to form to the cylinder".
    I got the gun out and dry fired it ten times just to make sure, the gun was instantly transformed and shot about the same as the .177". Accuracy with Hobbies wasn't very good (2.5" at fifty yards) and it didn't like Superdomes either. The local Copper called in for a coffee while I was messing about with the gun. After coffee he asked if he could borrow a gun as he had a Squirrel problem in his garden. As he only had a small garden and so didn't need long range accuracy I lent him the Tuned 77.
    When I eventually got the gun back (1 year later) the Copper said "that is one hell of a gun and it's so accurate".
    I asked him what pellets he'd been using, his reply was Eley Wasps!
    So I went back out to the 50 yard targets and tried some Wasps, I ended up getting the same size group as the .177 HW77k, brilliant.
    It was only when I tested the gun on a chrono that I found out what I had lent to a serving Police officer.

The gun was giving 20ftlb's with Hobbies and 18ftlb's with Wasps.

The gun is in bits now, when I get some time I will put it back together with a standard spring and see what it's like then.

All the best Mick

HW77

Certainly not disputing they are a great rifle.

I think my disinterest stems from the R1 inspired stock shape, never been keen on it and especially if its fitted to the 80 Mk2 onwards.

Of course Bob Beeman had a big hand in designing the 77 as well so suspect that's why we got the R1 style stock.

I took an instant dislike to the HW77 - partly because I thought it was ugly, but mainly because it was so heavy and the reach to the trigger was far too much.

I succumbed in 1985 and bought my .177" HW77. Best £93 I ever spent.

[ Ten years later I was reading an old Airgunworld article on tuning where it said that "PTFE piston washers need to be dry fired to form to the cylinder".
    I got the gun out and dry fired it ten times just to make sure, the gun was instantly transformed and shot about the same as the .177".]

So a snot to divert the thread I posted in General about DRY FIRING to form PTFE piston Seal.

Has anyone else tried this ?

Regs

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I took an instant dislike to the HW77 - partly because I thought it was ugly, but mainly because it was so heavy and the reach to the trigger was far too much.

I succumbed in 1985 and bought my .177" HW77. Best £93 I ever spent.

I wasn't robbed then Jim

My .177" 77k complete with 2.75x40 Tasco in a one piece mount cost me £50 secondhand in about 1986.

The same year I bought my horrible .22" 77k complete with Tasco 4x40 in a one piece mount for £20.

I bought both these guns off a good friend of mine who had owned them from new.

roduk

I have replied on your post in the General section.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 01-03-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I wasn't robbed then Jim

My .177" 77k complete with 2.75x40 Tasco in a one piece mount cost me £50 secondhand in about 1986.
    A bargain even in those days, I'd say, Mick. Especially with the 2.75x40 Tasco. I used one of those for years.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    A bargain even in those days, I'd say, Mick. Especially with the 2.75x40 Tasco. I used one of those for years.
    I think my best bargain was my HW35 with the breach problem that came complete with a Kasner 4x40 wide angle PA scope in a one piece mount.

After buying an Airsporter S for £20 my mate said
    "Take that bloody awfull German gun with you when you go"

So I did.

I've just bought a MK2 Vulcan for £20 so there are still some bargains out there.

All the best Mick

i bought my .177 hw77k back in the mid eighties on the fact that they were the dogs b*########*s according to the press of the time,the field target competition results were testament to that.i still have it! although not not shot it for years as target pistol shooting is now my discipline.
    at the time i saved up for months determined to buy the best money can buy and when it finally arrived from surrey guns i was over the moon.compared to my bsa buccaneer it was a proper rifle and i regularly shot over 500 pellets a week at field targets on my local farmers land.
    here's another question i often wonder
    say , at the same 40 to 50 yd maximum effective range of these 77's back in their day; are modern day rifles any better??
    could you still win a field trget event with a 77??

what u guys fink?
    good post by the way
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

I've never had a go at that field target lark, I've always had lots of other things to shoot at.

Anyway I've got my 77k ready and borrowed a Knockdown Rabbit off my next door neighbour so I'm going to have a go this afternoon.

I noticed the other day that early field targets had stick on targets on the silhouette of an animal, when did the Knockdown target take over?

All the best Mick