Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird airsporter open sight zeroing issue..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Weird airsporter open sight zeroing issue..

Just did a spit and polish tune on an old airsporter (o-ring head). Soft spring as it's for my son. Shoots fairly nice @ 7 FP.

Open sights zeroing is a bit of a challenge though - about 6" high at 15 yards on minimum elevation Just about a foot at 25 yards - the zero point is now just inside the top edge of the foresight hood, i.e. about 1/4" above the top of the blade...

Barrel looks perfectly straight / in line, sights seem the right height from the bore.

All I can think is the weaker spring is taking some slam out of the action, and as a result there is no piston crash to pull the action down...
    Or the crown is pi55ed down there in that counterbore.

It's actually quite accurate, just way too high...

What gives ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm sure you will have already checked, Jon, but did some of the Airsporters have height adjustable front sights?

I know you've said that the sights are at the correct height already, so excuse me if you've already checked.

Daft as it sounds, too, but have you tried some different pellets through it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

yup, checked that looks fine. Also tried a few diff pellets - some 30 grainers might get it down I suppose, but nothing normal works...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi Jon,

Some early Airsporters accepted interchangeable foresight blades, which came in several heights. They were secured with a screw and from memory had a semi circular base. The elements were also stamped with a number, which denoted the height. I remember having a similar issue with a Mk2 Airsporter years ago and Dennis Hiller came to the rescue with a higher element.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

is it not more likely to be the rearsight, as the front isnt adjustable for elevation (other than the bent barrel theory)?
    Donald

airsporter

I've had this problem with mk1+11 airsporters and a mk3 webley.
    I think I made a new foresight blade and also bought one but I never sorted the
    mk3 so I sold it.The chap who bought it,tried it in my garden and had no probs at all!
    atb Glyn

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Jon,

Have a look here;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....r-front-sights

The later plastic fantastic / diecast sights as per you gun (I am assuming a MK4 or late) are adjustable...The blade height is set by the c/s screw as I recall, also 8 pound is low for one of these, should be mid 10's to low 11's which may also help a tad.

If an earlier gun then several heights foresights are availabe, power again should be mid 10's/ low 11's

ATB, Ed

Weird airsporter open sight zeroing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Just did a spit and polish tune on an old airsporter (o-ring head). Soft spring as it's for my son. Shoots fairly nice @ 7 FP.

Open sights zeroing is a bit of a challenge though - about 6" high at 15 yards on minimum elevation Just about a foot at 25 yards - the zero point is now just inside the top edge of the foresight hood, i.e. about 1/4" above the top of the blade...

Barrel looks perfectly straight / in line, sights seem the right height from the bore.

All I can think is the weaker spring is taking some slam out of the action, and as a result there is no piston crash to pull the action down...
    Or the crown is pi55ed down there in that counterbore.

It's actually quite accurate, just way too high...

What gives ?
    i have had this problem with mki&ii airsporters i have owned for the last fifty years,my guns shoot 12"high at 15 yards.i know this sounds impossible but i have had friends shoot the guns with the same results, they are as baffled as i am as to why.i have ask the same question on this forum as you,and the answers i got ranged from -have i adjusted the sights right, try a lighter pellet,and the common one was, mine shoot ok.in other words no one has a clue.i wish some one would come up with an answer that made sense.i was beginning to think i was the only one to have experience this problem, but it seems ,iam not alone.

Bargain

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I have experienced the same with early Airsporters, later Mks. are have been OK.
    I tried different foresight blades (BSA) and heavier pellets but neither fully cured the problem.

Jon, I think you may be on the right lines when you say "something's going on internally" ?
    My barrels did not appear to "bent" or defective so the answer may be within the action ?

I never really resolved it so I hope you do !
    “An airgun or two”………

Could the loading tap and barrel be misaligned?.

Curious. Thinking back, 20 years ago I also had a very rough Mk.I which shot 6" high at 10 yards.

Hi all... thanks for the replies...

So ref the foresight blade height, I would need to increase the height such that it just touched the foresight hood... a bit excessive methinks

rearsight is all the way down, and about 1mm from touching the block, so no more adjustment there

Power is deliberately low, as I want a low power, easy cocker for my son - I might try it with a stiffer spring, just to see if that cures it.

Loading tap/barrel misalignment I doubt it, as it is very accurate... using the "just inside the top edge of the foresight hood" aiming mark in lieu of the foresight blade, I can hit a 2" disc pretty reliably at 27 yards... and I'm crap with opens. Also consistency is very good.

Ed, yup, MK4 or 5 or maye 6 ? - the rearsight elevation is adjusted through a dome headed screw, into the slot of which the rotary adjust sits. Not like the newer ones with a long metal springy bit that affects the elevation. Not seen one like this before.. All plastic.

** just found it on google after lots of searching - looks like this: http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.or...1824&mode=view this is on a meteor ? Maybe it's just the wrong sight ? I think I have a std BSA rearsight to compare to.. **

Richard - £25 yup, worst case I'll scope it

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    So ref the foresight blade height, I would need to increase the height such that it just touched the foresight hood... a bit excessive methinks

Hi Jon,

You could raise the foresight as far as it will go but the hood may have to be removed if the tip is touching it. Come to think of it, my Airsporter S shoots high and I ended up raising the foresight as high as it will go, then placed the hood back in the box for this very reason.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    My experiance was that the rifle shot higher than whether the hood was removed of not and it didn't make much difference !

I'll be down at the Melbourne M Fair tomorrow and if I see and buy a terrific example of an early Airsporter and about this time tomorrow I'll be "wrestling again" with this particular problem !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 08-04-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………