OK brains out there, help me here.

I did some optical phyics in my degree, but as that's more years ago than I wish to admit, my theory is a little rusty now.

I'm trying to optimise the picture on my XVD NV, and have the common problem in that if I get the cross hair sharp, the target goes out of focus and vice versa. The compromise is well off being great. I can get around this by mounting my laser, but that's a bit of a shame. If I understood what's happening, I'd be a lot happier. In my simplistic view, I thought that the XVD should be receiving basically the image that your eye does, so should be focussed on the image intensifier. However, the mounting is up against the back of the scope, so well in front of that focal point I imagine. Is this the problem? If you were to move the NV back so the image received is where your eye would be, although not practical to mount, would it solve it?

Questions! I know these monoculars were tweaked by Soviet Bazaar to work at all, so someone knows the theory behind them. And yes, Ben's given me some great tips on setting it up