Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt A10 View Post
You can say this about many, many other things like new cars for example with all their electronics inside. TV and computers and so on. How many folks out there service these products themself ? And I mean all of them and not just one thing for example a TV but also their car and other more technical stuff at the same time.
Poor examples imho. I know many people who service their own cars, and modern cars at that. With a laptop, the right cable and software it is easy to do many things to the ECU of a modern car that a main dealer would expect to do. I have such a piece of software which enables me for example to perform a throttle body alignment and reset adaptation values. It also allowed me, after the car developed a misfire just after collecting my car from its 30000 mile service, to diagnose the problem and say to the nice man from the AA that I needed coil pack 3 replacing. His laptop told him the same thing, which he promptly did.

How many times have we attempted to explain a problem in great detail to the "professionals" at a car dealer, or a computer shop, only to have them completely misunderstand, or fail to communicate your requirements to the spotty herbert who actually carries out the work.

A talented amateur will very often treat your airgun/car/computer with more care than a so-called professional. The "pro" will have targets to meet in terms of how quickly they deal with it and may rush the job. The amateur can take all the time necessary. Also, you don't know if the "pros" will give the job to the YTS trainee.