I've just finished working on my Haenel 312 sidelever match rifle. After repairing a split in the stock, I removed the old varnish, and applied an oiled finish. Before stripping the gun for tuning, I checked out a Polish website, and managed to find a Polish speaker to translate the instructions. Finding a new spring was almost impossible, but eventually I settled for an upgraded ASI-size spring, and cut this down to fit. As the coil diameter was wider than the original, I had to cut the length down slightly, as the bent would not engage the sear (not sure if these terms are correct!). The workmanship on the Haenel compared to (comments on) modern weapons was first class, and I really didn't need to remove any rough edges or burnish anything. The leather washer was in good condition, so I re-used it. After applying the usual Abbey lubes and re-assembling, the gun is shooting consistently (it was fine before, but only pushed out 4.7ft lbs). I haven't had it chrono tested yet, but at ten metres, Air Arms pellets disintegrate against a steel plate.

I would be willing to help other 312 owners who may have reservations about attempting a strip down/tune, although I don't claim to be an expert. It seems there is hardly any advice to hand about how to work on this rifle, apart from the Polish site, yet there must be hundreds out there.

A question for collectors - what guns made in the past 20 years will be most collectable in say 100 years from now? Has anyone any ideas?