Thread: Winchester SX3

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Winchester SX3

My main sport is practical shotgun (PSG), which can be simply described as “Shoot fast, don’t miss”. So for this I need a quick, and extremely reliable semi-auto shotgun. I spent a year shooting a Winchester SX2 (the predecessor of the SX3) which I borrowed off a friend, and at the time it was the best semi-auto I had ever shot, until I got my new SX3.

The SX2 was a brilliant shotgun, but somehow Winchester have improved an already proven gun, and created the SX3, which is marketed as “The fastest shotgun in the world,” having broken records, by shooting 12rds in 1.442 seconds, which is almost unbelievably fast for a semi auto.

The SX3 I have is the 3 1/2” Magnum synthetic model, with a +5 Nordic tube (a Section 1 shotgun, which holds 10rds). In my opinion the shotgun is incredibly pretty in this format, with the dark grey receiver/barrel, matte black stock with the angular lines, and the bright red streaks and logos. The SX3 is also exceedingly light for what it is. My gun, with the extended magazine tube, weighs in at a shade over 7lbs, which is a few ounces lighter than a Benelli M2 of the same spec, and considerably lighter than an 11-87 or Beretta.

When it comes to shooting the shotgun, it doesn’t disappoint. The mechanism works using both gas, and inertia. The gas parts under the forend unlock the bolt, and fire it back about an inch, and the rest of the work is done by the recoil. This creates an exceptionally reliable mechanism, which doesn’t carry the harsh recoil of an M1/M2, although it is greater than a soft 11-87. I have owned this gun about 4 months now, and shot approximately 700rds, which included a mix of Birdshot, Buckshot, and Solid Slug, and I can honestly say that I have not had a single jam with it to date. It will feed any cartridges (as long as they are 70mm or longer) flawlessly. I predominantly shoot Express Super Game cartridges (32g no.6’s), although I have tested my gun with lighter 28g clay pigeon loads, which also feed reliably.

Since the SX3 has gas parts, it does need regular cleaning. I have always cleaned my gun after every competition, because reliability is vital, however the gun will comfortably do 300 or 400rds without a clean. Due to the nature of the mechanism, there is always a carbon build up, but this is nothing an old toothbrush and some 009 can’t sort out!

In conclusion, I believe the SX3 is the best of the new generation of semi-auto shotguns. It may not have the futuristic mechanism of the Remington 105Cti, the lack of cleaning required of the Benelli M2, or the hefty price tag of a Beretta Xtrema 2, but I believe it is a better gun than all 3 of these. For £700, you get a lightweight, reliable, and lightening fast semi-auto, that will do just about anything you ask of it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...photos/SX3.jpg
    Last edited by Tyga; 08-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.