Not quite a collection as it lacks the brand or date theme, but I have acheived what I set out to do: a set of classic guns covering target, sporting and plinking. All were bought on here.

FWB300S, HW35K, Original 23, FWB65, TAU7

The FWB300S was bought a year ago and is by far the best air rifle I have ever handled. The build quality is outstanding (my father compared the quality to his favourite firearm, the Hämmerli 208 pistol) and it is exceedingly accurate. It was made in early 1976.

I've only just acquired the HW35K but already I'm impressed. The build isn't as refined as the FWB but it's impressive and I'm sure it will last longer than me. I was a little wary of buying a modern HW35 as I've read that quality isn't what it used to be, but this one is good to my eye. The open sights are excellent, and I'm going to refrain from buying a scope until I've become more proficient with them. It is a recent example.

I bought the Original 23 for my seven year old nephews to learn shooting with, but alas they are more interested in their Nintendos. Fortunately, this means that I get to play with it more. For a cheap junior rifle, build quality is very good, and the simple construction makes it the only rifle I can strip with confidence. I've replaced the mainspring in this one and scrubbed it up a little. It shoots about 4cm to the right at 10 metres, but it groups well so aiming off isn't a problem. It is dated 1978.

The FWB65 is a recent purchase, and as with the 300S, I am hugely impressed with both build quality and accuracy. The grip is small, and I have large hands, but nevertheless I find it very comfortable. Like the 300S, I expect to keep it forever (politicians allowing). It still has the yellow seals, so could do with a blue set installing soon but it shoots very well for the moment. I am not sure of the age of this example, but I think it's probably mid-production period.

I've had the TAU 7 for seven years now and although the finish is best described as "functional" the manufacture is very good quality. It's very accurate and despite being CO2 powered doesn't seem to be affected by extremes of temperature (although admittedly I haven't tried it in the snow). Mine was made in 1998.

No plinking pistol? I'm afraid my pistol technique is so poor that I can't hit a tin can with anything less than a target pistol!