Greetins

Just thought id better let you all know who (or what ) I am. That way, the rambling might make sense.

Im a nearly 40 yr old ex soldier (?). Started on SAMs with the RA, and then transferred to the AAC because I wanted to play with helicopters. It never quite worked out, but I had a lot of fun trying.

As a "Bill oddie", I developed (well, had developed a long time before I joined) a healthy interest in shooting and wildlife.

I basically pestered the range warden at a local Naval Gunnery school (HMS Cambridge in Devon...now sadly bulldozed) until he took to me. I learned so much that I got prizes for my skill at arms and gunnery science as a "junior bleeder". I also represented my county in the cadet full bore team, and JLRRA at small bore (Anchutz 95?).

I also had the typical obsession with explosives that kids can develop. I got hurt once, blew my eyebrows off, melted my eye lashes together, and gave myself a bit of a sun tan...and I was meeting (what turned out to be) my first "serious" girlfriend the next day...I learned about messing with explosives from that . I just went and did it properly.

I did 14 Years in the mob, till a really bad decision meant I left (Got married to an out and out cow) . I had qualified as a few things (?), SAA instructor amongst them. I had served in Kenya, Canada, Germany, The Falkland Islands, and the Gulf (1st one), so I hd seen a bit. I also had a good gliding career, right up until options for change closed my local club in Germany.

I had a passion for helicopters and flew models for years, although deep down, the hunting and wildlife were always simmering away.

Some time ago, I got fed up with the club scene, and a chance remark from the wife (no2, love her to bits, not a Nazi) caused me to take stock and look into falconry.

I sold up and did a year as a volunteer in my local falconry, before getting a large famale Harris hawk (Czara). We get on well, and she is quite murderous when it comes to our big eared friends. We are only into our second season together, but she lamps, follows on, and soars well too. She is a real all rounder and a priviledge to work with.

Anyway, my mate who was my contact on the farm suggested I try shooing again. He came out with the girlie, and it seemed to be a good idea to reciprocate. All my hunting is against pest species, although I support all forms of sustainable and humane country sports, so rabbits, rats and corvids are our main targets. I am a Countryside Alliance member, and wish the current bunch of tyrants (Tony and his mates) would concentrate on improving rather than "banning in haste and not giving a damn at leisure"!

I also feel that, where most of us now dont have (or feel we dont have) freedom of speech (lest we be branded racist or politically incorrect), that the press and certain public figures get away with far too much under the smoke screen of governement or journalism. The recent drivel in the Scottsman was a prime example. They owe us an apology!

Opps, I digressed..again. A shotgun was not my bag (although I do go rook shooting with Rob occasionally) and an FAC was not really practical. There is a lot of flint locally and ricochets are a real problem. Rimfire hunting is minimal.

I picked up a second hand HW77 and was convinced I was back where I belonged. My father in law recently gave me a Webley Hurricane he had bought and never used...more fun on the farm dump...cans, you can never trust them...B*****ds!!, Never know when one will jump out on you (Rubber room time again).

One of the legacies of the Army was several knackered bits, mostly back and shoulder, which make using the HW77 a bit of a chore . Add the noise and length (awkward in a vehicle which we do use for flying rabbit sessions) and a PCP carbine seemed ideal. A Logun Axsor is on order .

So, Its good to be back. Its amazing what a buzz "dusting chalkies" at 25m gives you (always seem to be able to hit the first 3 out of 5 consecutively then loose the plot!!).

The missus is pleased too. She does her St John bit, so was a bit worried that as we dont hawk through the summer, I might get up to no good...I will now!!

Appy doin whatever it is you are in to!