Do these actually exist in the UK?

Lots of retailers advertising with a range of prices but nobody actually has them in stock.
After lots of phone calls the only option seems to be to buy to order blind with heavy non returnable deposit up front.

There are some things I would consider doing that with and up to a certain price point but not for something so personal as far as fitting and overall suitability is concerned. With eight grips available how does one know what is required for that crucial fit? And it seems to be - take what you are given when it comes to grip, wood grain/colour. At £1400 I don't think so. As for trying one - well seems you can forget it. Function isn't the only factor either, pride of ownership also is a big aspect of this for me at least.

I suspect that this is the situation with many upmarket guns especially match pistols but it's incredibly frustrating not being able to give your money away. I've pretty much given up on the idea as the marketing of this type of pistol in this country seems such a shambles. No wonder the second hand market is so strong.

Any seasoned shooters/owners/anybody out there got any constructive comments? I understand all the commercial reasons why availability is so poor but that doesn't help manufacturers to sell or would-be purchasers to buy.

Bottom line - is it possible to handle/shoot and order what you know to be the correct gun for you and know that you will receive exactly that without traversing the country on a bunch of maybees?

Seems a reasonable enough expectation to me. But perhaps in 2012 this is no longer the case.

All personal experiences, suggestions and comments gladly received.

Hombre