Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
Fullbore rifles and shotguns don't follow air rifle trends because they are completely different devices, with equally different ways of going about their business.

Hunting with an air rifle is primarily about placing the pellet with target standard accuracy, and all other considerations should be prioritised below this, in my opinion at least. If it takes features that owe a debt to target rifles, then so be it. If the degree of control required for precision shooting can be incorporated while retaining traditional sporting lines, then that's fine too.

The same goes for scopes. I did OK with my 4 x 40 many years ago, but I know a higher spec scope helps me to be a better shooter, so that's what I use.

Make no mistake, though, a hunting air rifle is more about what it does in the field than how it looks or how convenient it is to carry.
Having your cheek in the correct place on a shotgun has always been critical to achieving accuracey. It frustrates me how low in the comb many air rifles are when it comes to lining up with scopes, especially on guns that will never have open sights fitted. Its one of the things that Theoben seemed to be more in tune with than most manufacturers, or maybe Custom stock sorted it for them as their own stocks also have much better ergonomics than most.