Thread: Osprey rebuild/tune-up, any tips?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Osprey rebuild/tune-up, any tips?

Theras an old Osprey in my Collection of vintage British springers, in need of some service

Its missing the loading tap, and was sprung with a square section spring that seems to have ovaled the sear pin holes and the holes in the cocking arm. Not very bad, so the gun will be made into a shooter.. Then I can leave the other, close to mint Osprey untouched

I have previously had very good results with Jim Maccaris HW50/99 spring in the Tracker, so I'm probably covered there, unless someone has a good tip on alternative springs?

Are there anyone here who have experience with seals- what should I use? Replace the piston rings with o-rings, as I see some of you have done, or machine the piston for a HW30 seal?

And then theres the tap, and tap fitting... I see there are conical and cylindrical taps, so I'll have to measure it and see what I have. When fitting taps, is it best to lap them in with abrasive compound, or to fit them with emery paper("only the bright spots") or are there other ways?

Anyone have any tips on where I can get a new loading tap?

Loads of questions, I'll be grateful for constructive and informative answers
    Last edited by evert; 06-03-2015 at 07:31 PM.