Thread: Thinking of selling my Nikon EFT 3-9x40ao.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thinking of selling my Nikon EFT 3-9x40ao.

It has nice glass and good build quality, but has spent most of the time since I bought it, in its box.

Fact is my eyes aren't what they used to be. Most of my shooting is done on an indoor range between 30-45 yards. Although I shoot at bells and other reactive targets, I spend most of my time trying to get good groups on paper. My other two scopes are a Legend 5-15, and a Simmons ProAir 4-12. I usually take shots at x6-x8 magnification, but I like to zoom in from time to time to see where the pellets are going, and I just can't do that with x9. I've found that I can get by with x12 at a pinch but x15 or 16 is better.

So I find myself contemplating selling a very nice scope for something OK but not in the same league optically, just for a little more magnification. I was thinking along the lines of a Hawke Panorama or MTC Mamba Lite, because I can't really afford anything more expensive, and these scopes generally get good reviews. Even a cheap Nikko Stirling or Hawke HD would probably suit my purposes better than the Nikkon, which is really a hunting scope.

I haven't made the final decision yet. I paid £175 for my Nikon from Uttings and it's unmarked, boxed etc. Do you think £110 plus postage sounds reasonable or is that too much. I may just px it for something else at a gun shop. I'm not fishing for offers so please don't treat this as a sales thread. Please don't pm me. If I do decide to try and sell on here, I will advertise in the sales section.

Am I alone in needing a bit more magnification than standard? Maybe I should keep the scope and buy a cheap spotting scope for target checking, since I generally shoot from a bench.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 25-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.