So, after managing to purcahse a .177 barrel for the above some time ago for the princely sum of £35. I have procrastinated on the job of swopping barrels. The example I have has some vertical play in the barrel lock up and this (I am guessing) could have a detrimental effect on accuracy. I have managed to purchase most of the items needed to try and improve or remove this issue from Chambers- all except barrel shims. And this leads to my question(s).

I had made an assumption that there is some wear in the shims/barrel pivot pin area and have finally managed to modify a wide screwdriver blade to unscrew the nut on one side of the breech jaws. I cant seem to find any wear in the barrel catch (but have bought a spare anyhow- and a spring to go with it). The shims are my concern. I would have thought they would be a slight friction fit into the barrel block? One was- but the other had seized and had to be lightly tapped out with a drift. There is no adverse wear signs on the outer shim face or the breech jaw due to this, but the old barrel pivot pin does seem a slacker fit than the new one I bought.

The design as a whole seems well thought out and good but my question is where would you suspect the "play" in the lock up is? As shims are obsolete and un-obtainable their replacement is not an option. Am I right about the shims? Were they designed to rotate when the action is cocked? Could this be where the vertial play has occured (adverse wear in some way)?

I'm really looking forward to having a .177 Pro Elite- but not if it comes complete with the old "play" in the lock up

I could just re assemble with the new barrel pivot bolt and hope for the best- but am wondering if there is anyone out there who on reading this could give me some advice on looking for areas of concern?

Thanks in anticipation of any guidance.
Dave