Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
Your point is only partly right. I accept the fact that just because no-one on this forum is prepared to say-openly or via email to me-that they knew of a person who had been jailed does not mean that no-one has been jailed-although it is a pretty good indicator as many active members of this forum are very well informed. However my information comes from many sources including the Police rather than just forum members. I repeat again: after considerable searching, I am unable to find one person who has been jailed just for having an air rifle tested and found to be operating above 12 ft lb. May I ask if you know of one? Just one will do.
Furthermore I take issue with your jibe about 'responsibility'. I take my legal obligations very seriously indeed. Not just for the benefit of the 'lurking guests' did I make the point about observing the 12 ft lb limit. You are free to use another word but I genuinely regard the threat of a five year jail term for just having an air rifle testing at over 12 ft lb as a paranoid reaction. This should not in any way lessen the care we as responsible air gunners take to keep our rifles 'legal'.
i tend to agree with you Rapidnick. I was speaking to someone yesterday who said that their friend was fired from their job beacuase they stole a pen from work- a biro. Obviously this is absolute rubbish, she was fired because she was terrible at her job, and the pen was just an excuse to remove her from her post. Happens all the time.

The same thing applies for an airgun at 12.00001 ft pound. You wont get nicked for that, IN ISOLATION, but if you were using a 12.1 ft pound rifle in an illegal manner (waving it around a shopping centre for example) then this offence would count, and would be added to the other list of offences you have commited.

So, if you are out hunting, with BASC insurance, full written perimission, are not a total idiot, and are behaving yourself, then you will not be nicked, bothered etc for a rifle just a smidgen over 12 ft lb.

Just a question of common sense really.

Andy