Hi,

I am looking for some advice.
I have just got my 7mm Rem Mag and working up a load for it. I am using 160 gr Nosler Accubond and Viht N-165 which is easy to get hold of in the UK, so that is my definite powder of choice, although I do have plenty of N-160 but it’s a bit fast for a 7mm RM.

I have the 7td edition Nosler reloading manual. It states the starting load should be 57.0 gr and the maximum load should be 61 gr. The 61 gr load was the most accurate being sub 0.5 MOA. I have seated the bullet 20 thou off the lands.

When I chronoed the load the average was a mere but very consistent 2633 fps. The manual says it should be more like 2900+ fps. Their test barrel was 24" whereas mine is 25.5", so in theory should have a higher velocity than the Nosler test.

I realise all the manuals seem to over state the velocity but surely not by 300+fps!!

Looking at other reloading info, the Vihtavouri manual says for a Speer Grand Slam 160gr bullet the start load for N-165 should be 59.1gr and the maximum is 68.1gr this should produce 2982fps. The maximum load is 7.1 gr higher than Nosler state for their similar bullet.

The Hornady manual states for N-165 starting load of 52.7gr and maximum of 62.3gr for a similar bullet offered by Hornady.

My question is, how safe would it be to ignore the Nosler manual and try the Viht suggestion? I am wanting to get as close to 3000fps as possible.

I know I can make some rounds at say 1 grain increments and watch for pressure signs as I go, but I wonder if anyone else may have also done the same. I know all rifles are different so what is safe in someone else’s 7mm Rem Mag may not be safe for mine.

I am using brand new unfired Norma brass and Federal Gold Medal Large Magnum primers.

When I have shot 90 rounds I will neck size some brass and compare the same load vs unfired brass.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers