Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
A.G, don't you think that if capable meant anything other than capable how the airgun is setup and not after modification we would have had a lot more problems since 1969
My concern is more to do with innocent people landing in trouble rather than any miniscule and meaningless increase to the power. Any sane person would have set the law to define the power output of the gun with a certain pellet as a datum, whatever that power limit might be. The way the law is set up is vague to say the least and subject to abuse.
I am not going to get into the details of how much power has to be increased to realistically render an air rifle, particularly dangerous , but it is far more than 50 % of increase. Anyone with access to a ballistics program can test the model for themselves and let their own experience guide them.

I have no particular desire for a more powerful gun either. Last year I pulled my application for FAC at the last second. I however, think that a law that is dealing with firearms, in this case air rifle, should be easy to understand and straight forward to implememnt and adhere to.

Setting a 12 ft.lbs gun to 10.5 ft.lbs just in case it is found to be capable of exceeding the limit on a hot summers day or if the regulator misbehaves, is a rather round about way of dealing with the matter.

Personally I would have prefered a standard pellet ( 8.4 grs Diabolo design ,soft alloy is ideal ) to set the power with and that would be the easiest way of dealing with the matter for all concerned.

If the gun then happend to produce 12.2 ft.lbs with the most efficient pellet then the world really does not come to an end nor will the gun be anymore dangerous or prone to abuse, it is as simple as that.

BTW, the last time the French reviewed their Air rifle power limit they increased it to 20 J , ours is 16.1 J as it satnds, so a review may not always be inclined to a reduction.

Regards,

A.G