Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
I like the 98 esque option too...

here's a thought.. would it be possible to use the same locking mech that is used for bicycle handlebar stems, i.e. a 45 degree slice through the rods, and a bolt through their centre, that causes the two sections of rod to move in opposite directions laterally, locking in place in the hole ? Might be sensible to glue in place a couple of steel or brass liners to prevent the wood from cracking under ham-fisted loads, but it should work, and negate the need for side clamping screws ?
Pretty sure that would work even in the wood of the stock, as your not cranking the bolts up super tight, a degree of knurling would ensure a good non slip effect.

I fit a pair of inserts made from 12mm threaded rod, drilled and tapped internally for 6mm with a corresponding 90deg 9mm hole to allow my standard 8mm raiser rod to pass cleanly through, I then put a 6mm bolt with locknut onto the insert and use the bolt to screw it into the stock, release the locknut and unscrew the bolt leaving the insert fitted.