Thread: A shoot out down memory lane: Haenel, Tell, Webley, Hy-Score

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A shoot out down memory lane: Haenel, Tell, Webley, Hy-Score

With the edition of my new to me Webley Premier, thought I would take my blued steeled pistol collection out for a shoot off: all in .177, Haenel 28-R, Tell 3, Webley Premier, and Hy-Score 800.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psoptw9rb1.jpg

Though old; all guns are in almost new condition except for the Tell 3. All chrony right to where the model should, even the Tell 3. This is interesting to me cause you have the Haenel and the Webley as probably the most popular pistols of the pre-war period. The Tell made a decade after the Haenel 5 miles from their factory in Germany. Lastly the Hy-score used the Haenel and the Webley in their research to try to produce a better pistol in America.

I should say in fairness I am comparing a 1971 Webley Premier which though patterned directly from the earlier models is probably benefiting from newer technology.

Here are the results from the shooting: the black circle is the size of an American quarter which is on the sheet along with a copper penny. Distance 25 feet.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psf5inuigg.jpg

Without question the Webley is the best shooting pistol with the tightest group covered by a penny. It really is a heavy superb gun, with a trigger that is by far the best of the group. It feels right in the hand and seems a natural shooter. If I want to make my best shoot it's the one I would choose in this group.

The Hy-Score I think would be second. It too has a good trigger but I think is a slight step down. The group is good but not as good as the Webley.

Haenel would be third, the trigger is much stiffer though it breaks well. Much more inconsistent, part could be the barrel needs a little oversized ammo which I got with the round balls. Pellets do not tighten group. And the 22 seems more difficult to control. However fit and finish is the absolute best in the group. No milling marks just polished steel blued to perfection,

The Tell 3, at least mine, has the worse trigger, it is just a bear of a pull. Once released it is almost silent, that part of the mechanism is very nice. It had the largest group size.

Much is made of the difficulty or ease of cocking. Each has its own method and I really don't think one is that much better than the other. The Haenel is thought to be difficult but with the proper technique it's really not any worse for me than the Webley? The Tell is unique but not very easy on the hand really. Probably the Hy-score wins here.

It would be interesting to me to see how a older Webley would stack up here? The Premier is really superb and it's compactness came as a surprise.
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-06-2017 at 08:32 PM.