I didn't use to care for these because they didn't seem as realistic as the 1911, Sig 226 X5 etc.

But I think I am changing my mind.

And the reason for this is the Umarex Beretta APX. It is a nice looking gun, not very expensive and with semiblowback manages to get velocities close to400 fps.

The all metal full blowbacks manage about 300 fps, and the poor paint job on the die cast metal soon gets tatty. Plus the strong blowback contributes to them no lasting very long.

Polymer frames look better after lots of use, and many modern firearms have polymer frames these days, so they also look realistic.

Now I don't know why the Beretta APX has such good velocity - certainly reduced blowback must help to save CO2, but the metal slide itself may be very light compared to say the Cybergun Sig and PT 92.

I found myself wondering if semiblowback guns in general eg. the Gletcher Tokarev, Bersa BP9 CC, etc. were also as efficient with CO2 as the APX. They appear to be capable of very reasonable groups rested out to 10 yards, even though they are bb guns.

Are there any members who could shed some light on this?