Thread: BSA Mercury Ressurection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Mercury Ressurection

This is the story of my Dad's old BSA Mercury - pics link at the bottom.

Won in a raffle back in the late 80s and since researching the serial number it turns out it was already 9 years old then. We also had some issues with it that were never fixed such as the barrel droop. A piston jam in the early 1990s revealed a bone dry action. I think it must have already had 50k pellets through it when we won it!

So one day my wife mentions maybe I should get her a gun to plink with. She's only 5foot so handling a HW80 - which should does admirably - is a bit of an unwieldy task. The challenge was to not spend any money. I was recommended a few short stocked springers but then I remembered the old Mercury. It's been in my Dad's cellar for decades and was in a right state. Although the metal work was ok, the stock was a mess and the insides needed some proper tlc. It had always suffered from barrel droop too which I only found out recently was down to a worn pivot pin. i wish i had known this 30 years ago!

Over the last few weeks I've fitted new seals, top hat, spring guide, Titan spring - shortened by 8 coils, relubed, polished, straightened and honed every bit of the insides. The new pivot pin and latch was fitted - this cured the droop. The stock was stripped and boy was this a problem. I don't know what BSA used in the 70s and 80s as a varnish but it took 2 coats of remover! Then it was sanded, oiled, oiled, oiled, oiled and oiled, ready for waxing.

I got hold of an old BSA butt plate too to help with the length of pull as well as add some protection. The old recoil pad was in good condition but adds over an inch to the pull.

Finally it was beginning to come together.

The power came out at around 9ft lbs which was spot on. Best consistency was with AA Diablos at 8fps variation. EIGHT. That's incredible.

Today I had a quick go on my home 15m range. Half inch groups were eventually achieved once I'd settled with its style. I'm glad I didn't push the power any further. It shoots so sweetly. I also got a period Rhino 4x32 to fit on it. That's all nicely wrapped up for my wife to open on Christmas Day.

I also ordered a special sticker to fit it to the cylinder. My wife and I have been together as a couple for 10 years so it seemed appropriate to mark the occasion.

Ok it won't win any trophies and probably doesn't have the poke to hunt with but it's absolutely beautiful, shoots fantastically and I'm totally chuffed how its turned out.

PICS
    Last edited by Zomboid; 16-12-2017 at 03:06 PM.