Thread: Schimel GP22

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Schimel GP22

I recently acquired one of these - rare as hens teeth (well almost) in working condition. I have a question.

For those not in the know (apologies to those who are) these are Luger replicas made in the US for a couple of years in the late 1940s.
    They are powered by 8gm CO2 bulbs and are quite powerful for the UK market - 5 ft/lbs or so.

I have a dilemma - mine (see first three images) has lost most of the black finish. Personally I have no problem in respraying matt black and when fully hardened wiping with oil. I did this with half a 600 and the finish matches the original (the half I left original as it was OK).

Many would say "AAARGGGH - not original - you will lose value". TBH originality can be restored (IMHO) if it is surface deep such as a paint finish. If a future owner felt differently it would be easy enough to remove my surface coating.

Thoughts please.

https://paulr986.imgur.com/all/ - just seen that takes you to other images (Crosman 600) too - ignore the KWC PO8 - but that actually illustrates my point - the last Crosman picture shows where the front half (the bit where the CO2 bulb is behind) has been restored as it was almost bare metal when I bought it whilst everything behind it is original. I haven't "aged" it but just used it it has become marked like the rest. Looks OK to me?
    Last edited by PaulR; 26-03-2018 at 05:03 PM.