I know this thread hasn't taken a breath for over a year, but just like the RB2, I need to raise it from the dead, because, due to rose tinted memories (of a Mk7 Airsporter and a Superstar) I've gone and bought a pile of bits to make an RB2.

I'm not saying I wish I hadn't, after reading the comments on here, quite the opposite in fact, rather I'm looking forward to having a go, what could possibly go wrong?

I do have some questions though, just out of curiosity.

The barrel is 14" (in old money) and has a hole under the barrel muzzle, was it a carbine and need a muzzle weight if open sights are to be fitted? My eyes are to old for open sights but just curious.

At the breech block end there is a pin which, to a man with a hefty hammer, gives the impression that some brute force will allow the old BSA .2222222 calibre barrel to be swapped out for a .22 or maybe even .177 calibre tube with a slightly tighter breech and a wider choice of pellet. To anyone who says getting a pellet in a .177 breech from a .22 RB will be tricky, bear in mind that my first airgun was a Crosman 766 so that wouldn't put me off.

And then there's that alloy block which sits under the end of the cylinder and is secured by an allen stud, what's that all about? Is it just a bit of support for the underlever? Does it need to be nice and tight or a rattling good fit?