Thread: The genius of Hugo Schmeisser in the Haenel 28R

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The genius of Hugo Schmeisser in the Haenel 28R

Spent a lot of time with my prewar spring pistols over the last week putting them through their paces. A couple of days after I look at the Haenel 28R and marvel at the genius of Hugo Schmeisser. I think it is easier to maybe dismiss Hugo when you look at the common single shot 28. And unfortunately that is the pistol most people have given the relative rarity of the 28R. The diagram below was borrowed from the Gallery and shows the complexity of the repeating design. A ingenious concentric loading tube was used, a design probably borrowed from the more common concentric barrel. The design produces a solid non breaking design. The finely machine loading ramp works flawlessly with Crosman Wadcutters. It’s easy to take this design for granted given it works so well. It’s grip cocking leaves the pistol looking like a Luger. Often criticized I actually found it less stressful on my arms than the long throw of the Webley Senior? The Achilles heal is the trigger. Given that the grip separates during cocking the trigger mechanism is less than ideal. Sound, finely machined but stiff. Love the pistol. Crazy lucky to find three in the last several years, I think a little easier find in the US given Haenel was a favorite prewar import. And the key is finding them in great shape for shooting.

Last edited by 45flint; 27-01-2021 at 05:37 PM.