My collection, I have just observed, is 25% 177 and 75% 22, which confirms a preference for 22.

I just wondered whether the majority of collectors have repeated this type of preference for 22 or whether the reverse is the case?

I have placed scopes on my 177s, because of their flatter trajectories over longer ranges. My older rifles, with open sights, are all in 22. I considered it would be rather more challenging at longer ranges to use 177s with open sights (although peep sights would be preferable in this situation if it came to it). For this reason, my older rifles which are without telescope rails, are in 22.

Often, when I am looking to collect a particular make and model, I am confronted with the question of whether I should seek to do so in 177 or 22. For the most part, my usage is for target shooting, at varying ranges. This means conditions should be still, to avoid windage considerations. Personally, I find the better all rounder to be the 22 but it is pleasing to obtain groupings at longer ranges with 177.

My collection now numbers 12 and I have no particular desire to add to it, not least because I try to use each in the collection during the course of a year - which I find quite a task. On the other hand, I then read something about a particular make and model here and wonder if I should buy one. For example, I like what I have read about several models of Diana, including the 48 and 52. Were I to buy, I then wonder if it should be in 177 or 22. Probably, it would be the latter, even although usage would for the most part be restricted to targets.

I am curious to know what other collectors think. Do they hold similar preferences or do they collect in 177 or, perhaps, in roughly equal proportions? When they seek to add a make and model to their collection, do they seek both calibres? I have excluded .25, which I have always considered too heavy for sub 12ft/lbs. I have also excluded .20, which appears never to have really taken off although it is arguably a happy medium between 22 and 177.

Rgds
A