Thread: Help with BSA model D, somebody please.

Help with BSA model D, somebody please.

Can anybody tell me the best way to adjust WINDAGE on an improved model D,No 10 rearsight,I know its in a dovetail, but it seems tight.I'm a bit reluctant to start bashing it about,the elevation adjustment is cock on,first time i've shot one,realy enjoyed it,THANX
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

The rearsight is dovetailed on but it's tight for a reason you adjust the windage by bashing the foresight, IIRC if the rifle is shooting to the left of aim whack the foresight over to the right a little bit, shooting to the right of aim,whack to the left.

Ben

PS I did say If I Remember Correctly, and it was 30 years ago when I last adjusted one , so some brain fade is to be expected
    Last edited by master_shriller; 10-03-2007 at 11:05 PM.

windage adjustment

I agree that you can adjust the sights for windage by gently tapping across the foresight, but I beg to differ regarding the advice from master shriller, concerning the direction to move it.

If the shots are going to the left then correct by tapping foresight to the left. And vice versa

If you were to correct by moving the rear sight, then moving the rear sight to the left would take the shot further to the left and vice versa

John

I think he's got a point there Ben.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cheers lads,so its the front sight i adjust....just bin and took a real close look with a glass,and theres marks were it has been moved befor,looks like somebody has tried to crimp it in place,but not clumsily,THANX for help,Does anyone have a preferance for the type of pellet,that best suits these old guns ????
    TIM
    Last edited by tjg; 09-03-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by tjg View Post
    Does anyone have a preferance for the type of pellet,that best suits these old guns ????
    IMHO, use Milbro Caledonians or Eley blue tin Wasps all day long and you won't go wrong (at least thats what my BSA Standard and Langham Gem used to like, and probably still do ). ATB: G.W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-03-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to change spelling of Eley as was incorrect.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanx again for the help Garath,its a 177 ,never used the caladonian you mentioned ,bin shootin some old red tin 'ELEY' wasps ,but i aint got many,the different colours indicate a different size is that right ???a local gunsmith told me once, the new wasps are a bag of crap,avoid at all cost..
    TIM

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by tjg View Post
    Thanx again for the help Garath,its a 177 ,never used the caladonian you mentioned ,bin shootin some old red tin 'ELEY' wasps ,but i aint got many,the different colours indicate a different size is that right ???a local gunsmith told me once, the new wasps are a bag of crap,avoid at all cost..
    TIM
    Ahh, sorry Tim, I have given you advise for a .22 without thinking. In .177 I'd be tempted to try one of the .03mm over-size pellets like the Daystate or JSB 4.53, as they are what I use in my older .177 cal rifles. The gunsmith you spoke to was right about Eley wasp sizes and colour lids etc, as the lilac tin Eley Wasps are bang on 5.5mm (exactly .22), and the blue tin Wasps are one over size at 5.6mm, so suit the older barrels better. Regarding said Wasp pellets however, here your information is only half right. There are two manufacturers producing and marketing blue tin Wasps, the aforementioned Eley company, and a-another ... Both use the same shade of blue for their blue tin Wasps lids (similar to this), both use a line drawing emblem of a wasp as their logo, but only one says Eley Wasps as the other just says Wasps. Stick with the ones saying Eley, and you won't go wrong. Cheers all, I'm off for a brew : Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-03-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to change spelling of Eley as was incorrect.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Which pellets

Hi again Tim
    I own a pre-war .177 Club Standard BSA among other guns
    I have bench tested this old rifle with many pellets at ranges up to and including 50 yards (on our club range)
    Gareth WB is probably spot on with his choice of pellet, and with JSB or Daystate pellets this old gun will consistently put all 10 shots into a 3 inch circle at 50 yards with no flyers. (as long as it is a calm day). It outshoots all my old and new .22 airsporters by a mile and has similar accuracy to my .177 Airsporter Mk1 Club. I would never part with it. I did experiment with a number of springs before it performed well. Like both old and more recent loading tap Airsporters, these old rifles do not take too kindly to a strong spring and often both power and accuracy improve considerably after removing a coil or 2 or 3 from a new main spring.
    I have chronographed my CS and it produces almost 10 ft lbs of energy which is almost 2 ft lbs more than my Airsporter Club.
    I would imagine your rifle has similar performance
    Enjoy it

John

Thanks John,I was more than pleasantly suprised when i fired a few shots down the garden,so much so that in 10 minutes I had written note to missus,and was away to the Greyhound to give it a go.the problem i did have was seein where the pellets were striking without a scope (ha ha),but i was soon playin with a knock down/up at 20 yards.
    TIM
    Last edited by tjg; 29-03-2007 at 04:00 PM.