Thread: Webley Pistols Question Please

Webley Pistols Question Please

Hi,
    does anyone know how many different pistols/and/or models of pistols webley made?
    i have 2 webley juniors, a webley premier and a webley premier mark 2 and 3 of them are boxed. Oh, and a tempest.

i would like to have a wall mounted cabinet made to display these guns and i know that i am missing a webley senior and a hurricane from my collection but are there any other models? e.g. mark 2's etc.

thanks for any help

DAVE

hi dave

there are the mk1's and the typhoons and possibly others, i have a copy of hillers airpistols somewhere, i'll find it out and list them for you

regards, john.

btw, webley made quiet a few revolvers too

hi again, listed are-

hurricane
    junior
    junior mk2
    mark 1
    mark 2
    premier
    premier mk2 (i presume this is the aluminium framed one)
    senior
    tempest
    typhoon

well that's about it.

pps, forgot to say, some of the pistols were made in nickel plate.

as is the top one here (premier)

Last edited by johnbaz; 09-03-2007 at 09:34 PM.

many thanks

thats a massive help. thank you very very much John. i need a few more Webleys before my collection starts to near completion then.
    And the service revolvers were a classic. (although i've never shot anyone with one, i can imagine the .455 to be a real 'manstopper'.)
    DAVE

Smile

H'mmm If you wanted to collect something with a ton of variables , you chose well!!

Firstly there are pre and post war mpdels, then there are variants, even on rare models such as the Mk11 Target, they have a solid frame and later variants have a removeable plug.Then you can have .177 or .22. Seniors - Pre & post war, early & late variants,with or without trigger adjuster screw, nickel plate variants slant grip, straight grip !! If you go post war and take the Premier - A,B,C,DE,F models the early ones had 4 pin trigger guards, later had 5 pins, early models had "OIL" on the frame as per the Seniors, later in the same model didn't, again in both calibres.
    The list of variants is huge, a good reason not to collect too seriously in my view!!

BTW - I am not a serious Webley collector so expect to find that there are even more variables out there!

there's the Webley Nemisis too. My other half uses one at the club and it seems to keep up with other recoiless guns.
    Alfa Proj Target .177
    Drulov Eagle .177
    Diana Mod52 .177
    Drulov Condor .177
    Benjamin EB17 .177
    S&W 586 .177

Quote Originally Posted by daveuk View Post
    And the service revolvers were a classic. (although i've never shot anyone with one, i can imagine the .455 to be a real 'manstopper'.)
    A friend of mine has a clean Mk4 de-ac from the 60s, one of the last they made. Lovely slice of history for £120

Apart from the basic models, you will find many variations of the different models.
    As has been said, Gordon Bruce's book is well worth purchasing if you are serious.
    I have just checked the availability of this book, and www.bookzone.co.uk are advertising it at £35.
    Amazon are advertising it at £309.22

Many of the types and some of the variations in my sig.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 10-03-2007 at 01:26 AM.

thanks for the help.

i think i chose the wrong thing to collect though! lol. i could never afford to aquire 'one of each' and thats even if i could find one of each.
    i was thinking of collecting around 10 really good/excellent examples,(i foolishly thought there may only be about 10 different ones. doh) in boxes, then displaying them in a nice case on the wall.

That is a good idea, and something I did a while ago, but I displayed them out of their boxes for better effect.
    I will try and post a photo on my sig. site one of these days, but I have to remove the sliding glass doors first, to avoid reflection.
    You stand a good chance of collecting most of the basic models without boxes, but in good condition.
    You may find some of the boxes difficult to obtain in good condition, but if you do, the box quite often adds a large amount to the price.
    Good luck with the collection.

webleys

thanks TROUBLEDSHOOTER. i did mean displaying them out of their boxes, i just want the boxes for added value to be honest. from what JOHNBAZ told me there are about ten different models (obviously not counting the variables within each model) so maybe i could just do my 'collection' like that, although i think i'd always feel it was somewhat incomplete. you guys on this forum are a great help by the way. its the first time iv posted a thread in the 'collectable' forum.

The basic spring powered models including major variations are as follows :

Junior Wood Grip
    Junior Tin Grip
    Junior Bakelite Grip - several variants
    Junior Mk.2 Plastic Grip

Mk.1 Wood Grip - Spring clip/s - Rare as Rocking horse Dung.
    Mk.1 Wood Grip - Sliding top catch - numerous variants
    Mk.1 Bakelite Grip - pre & post war

Mk.2 Target - several variants

Senior Straight Grip - Vulcanite - several variants
    Senior Slant Grip - Bakelite - pre & post war.

Premier - numerous variants
    Premier Mk.2 - several variants

Typhoon
    Tempest
    Hurricane

E&OE.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 11-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.

I have only got one slightly worn Senior but they are beautiful pistols.

As recommended above Bruce's book is essential for any Webley collector - I cannot imagine a better book on it's subject, packed full of info and superb illustrations.

many thanks once again to TROUBLEDSHOOTER. that is a massive help! maybe i can stretch my collection to 15 then.
    thanks again.
    DAVID