Thread: Webley Raider 10-shot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Not happy with the safety.

I just picked up a Raider 10 shot second hand. Its a nice gun, possibly a little big for lamping from a motor, but i like it with the exception of the damn safety.

From what I read in the manual the rifle is safe when the bolt is back and down, moving the bolt forward indexes the mag, loads a pellet and cocks. If I then decide not to fire and want safety on I can pull the bolt back, fine except that when I next ready to fire pushing the bolt forward indexes the mag and loads a second pellet

Hope someone can tell me I am doing something wrong. The gun is awkward enough in a confined space last thing I need is a dodgy safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    I just picked up a Raider 10 shot second hand. Its a nice gun, possibly a little big for lamping from a motor, but i like it with the exception of the damn safety.

From what I read in the manual the rifle is safe when the bolt is back and down, moving the bolt forward indexes the mag, loads a pellet and cocks. If I then decide not to fire and want safety on I can pull the bolt back, fine except that when I next ready to fire pushing the bolt forward indexes the mag and loads a second pellet

Hope someone can tell me I am doing something wrong. The gun is awkward enough in a confined space last thing I need is a dodgy safety.
    I think the gun actually cocks when you pull the bolt back, and indexes a pellet when you push the bolt forward.

What I tend to do, if I have already indexed a pellet and cocked the gun is pull the bolt back, remove the magazine, take hold of the bolt and while pointing it in a safe direction squeeze the trigger while easing the bolt forward. That means the gun will need to be cocked again before it will fire, and there's no magazine to index a second pellet.

I then put a pellet in the empty space on the mag so I don't have to fumble about positioning it to index the next pellet properly when I put it back in, but this is just me.

Steve's right. I keep the bolt back and slip it forward when I want to shoot. If I don't end up shooting the only option I can think of is what Steve suggests - or letting the shot off in a safe direction.

I had two rabbits in quick succession last night. Very pleased.

Pretty much what I have been doing, but wastes a lot of pellets. Its a lovely gun, very comfortable accurate, just a pity the designers missed a manual safety. That and the fact its a bit too long to swing around in a motor means I'll have to go looking for another one

Oh dear how sad.

Thanks for the help

Update - no resolution from Webley - dealer has lost my custom and I shan't buy another Webley - I bought a Combro though (thanks Robin - what a marvellous little tool that is !) and I was seriously impressed with the consistency of the rifle. It's doing about 11.3 ft lbs at the moment. Sitting supported I got one-hole groups from 25-40 yards, which I am rather pleased with.

I had a lot of help from guys on here re maintenance etc., and am confident I can sort out any problems which arise. I still really like the fit and feel of the gun. It is doing a lovely job around the shoot.