Thread: .22 Webley MK 1 or Senior/Premier Barrel

.22 Webley MK 1 or Senior/Premier Barrel

Barrel Wanted, to buy in any condition, as long as the rifling is OK, mine has finally given up the ghost and sadly, is now scrap. Very gratefull for anyone who can help me out.

Thanks

i am selling another webley senior, in very good condition, (this one was bought off john nibs for £185) two years ago. the handles do have small chips on both sides, have a look @ the pictures, i do want £80 inc post for this one, i only collect boxed mint condition webley's.
    i will take paypal, cheque, cash

barrel

Hi M8,

thanks for the interest, but i have a perfectly useable pistol, its just the barrel thats stuffed.

thanks

hi

Can you send me a picture of the barrel

webley

Hi Elah,

here is the pic in case it does not open in the private message i sent you.

rgds

pete

What happened to it to render it useless?

Linkage point broken by the looks of it.

Hmmm... I see... Couldn't a decent gunsmith weld it back on?

Can this be made to fit?

Item number: 280121562261

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Hmmm... I see... Couldn't a decent gunsmith weld it back on?
    I wouldn't have thought welding the lugs would be a viable proposition, but I could be wrong.
    One point I forgot to mention; the only barrel with the correct linkage point will be for a Mk.1 slant grip only, as per the original.
    A Senior/Premier barrel will not be suitable.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 05-06-2007 at 04:44 PM.

barrel

The barrels on these Mk1's were machined from a casting that included the foresight/hinge unit and the linkage saddle. A weld repair would be possible but you would need a very skilled T.I.G. welder and you would have to make the part to be welded on, which could also take an hour or so to do

Replacement barrels are available from J Knibbs for about £32. These have the two fittings brazed onto a 9 mm diameter rifled tube. If JK(or his supplier) would sell you the linkage fitting then you could turn down the damaged area on the barrel, (and the knurled area) and slide on the fitting from the breech end, then braze it.
    I have a prewar Mk1 barrel in the same condition as yours. Mine has no knurling and I was going to ask JK for a fitting or investigate making a one from 1.5-2mm thick flat bar and braze it onto the barrel.
    I have found that the prewar and postwar Mk1 barrels are interchangeable but the Senior/Premier barrels are very different to the Mk1's(diameter and position of linkage saddle)

If you could accurately roll/form the fitting from flat bar,then it will be possible to fit and braze it without turning down the Knurling

Good luck
    John
    hold me back !!

barrel

thanks for all your advice guys, what the picture does not show is a fracture in the barrel where a well intentioned friend tried welding a lug on with the arc set to high..... so its defo a replacement barrel, sadly

I am pretty sure that I have a MKI barrel in one of my 'bits' ammo boxes in the garage - I think it is a pre-war one though.
    As I am currently taking a break from packing to catch an early flight tomorrow to Italy I ain't going digging at the moment. I'm only away for a week so if you want the barrel (assuming I am right and it is there - pretty sure) email me during the week to remind me and I will dig it out when I get back.
    It'll be a freeby.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .