Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets c this one

Quote Originally Posted by stevenB View Post
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets c this one
    Steve you Knowas you have seen

figjam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AAS410 View Post
    Sorry John, Don't see your name anywhere on my post. Still always up for a challange. My point is, where do you stop, Some people out there still think they can shoot rabbits at 100+. I will be more than happy to put up £20 if any one with a springer can put a group in at 100 yds (6 pellet group) of 2" or less. You can use ANY FT position. Any one interested this can be arranged at Kypeside shooting ground. Any one.

Regards

George

jesus george now your are taking the piss mate! FT position????

its hard enough bench rested mate, if your coming on sunday you can have a go! infact we could make it a side shoot if you like, you on for a decent wager??

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Sid, rather than putting yourself down as a fibber , study the bold section of the above quote. As a sad-to-the-point-of-tragic airgun tester, I would permit no inconsistency whatsoever during my 100-yard quest.
    I'll go with that. What is and isn't under your control is a subjective judgement at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFF View Post
    I will have a go at paper shooting at 150 yards as soon as the weather get better, i will get a dvd recording of this aswell.
    i will use my Condor .22 with a 21" barrel which is PTFE lined and has 100g steel hammer with two PTFE rings, i have three bottles
    1st has a valve stem of 5.5mm runs at 65fpe
    2nd has a valve stem of 6.5mm runs at 75fpe
    3nd has a valve stem of 7.2mm 120fpe

Have you anything producing around 30 ft.lbs., Geoff? It would be interesting to see a series of 10-shot groups with that, mate.

Anyway, good luck.

In post 99, Gary C said I was contemplating shooting rabbits at 100yds. If he had read the last sentence of the first paragraph of post 95 he would have known that this was not the case.

I dont shoot live quarry any more at any range, and would never attempt to shoot anything but paper and tagets at long range.

I don't need preaching to by anyone, I just want to enjoy my shooting and do it to the best of my ability.

ATB. Neil.
    Last edited by sniper-wolf; 23-08-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    i have 2 groups at an Inch at 140 yards and mine are not measured CTC, one is shot by me and one is shot by a friend of mine on the same day, we had 3 scottish bikers at our range watching. i wonder if the word spread around in the highlands. besides that there where another 10 men at the range watching it. ive been doing this shooting for a whole year now. 31grainers at 924ft/s.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL888.../266062176.jpg my group

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL888.../266062191.jpg my friends group

another group at 170 yards. the 4 shots at the top are 4 inches apart.
    http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL888.../266689344.jpg

the thing that annoyed me most in the article is that there was no data on the amount of elevation dialled or hold over used! almost all long range shooters keep a record of this and im surprised nothing was mentioned.
    if you tell me that i can bring my air rifle to the UK, i'll be happy to attend in september.
    Good shooting films

Thumbs up JG

Sorry Kenny, Don't think i can make Sunday. If i can i will come along. I dont have a gun, sold up my hft rig so gunless, so will have to watch. All the best.

Regards

George

Quote Originally Posted by AAS410 View Post
    . I will be more than happy to put up £20 if any one with a springer can put a group in at 100 yds (6 pellet group) of 2" or less. You can use ANY FT position. Any one interested this can be arranged at Kypeside shooting ground. Any one.

Regards

George
    Should be attending JG on Sunday....looking forward to giving it a go in the wee windless valley.

Anybody putting up £20 if it gets done there?

As far your challenge, 94 yards from sitted at the bench and my lucky bunny as support.....and no wind may take ya up on that

Had a wee blast again yesterday up at Kypeside, will let Zico post his thoughts on it.

http://pccures.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/windy.jpg

http://pccures.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/range1.jpg

http://pccures.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/range2.jpg

http://pccures.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/target.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBam View Post
    Had a wee blast again yesterday up at Kypeside, will let Zico post his thoughts on it.
    What was the shot count and group size on that target, Jon? Looks about 5-inches if that's an A4 sheet, but larger if it's A3.

Just being nosy, really.

In post 99, Gary C said I was contemplating shooting rabbits at 100yds. If he had read the last sentence of the first paragraph of post 95 he would have known th this was not the case.

he has a way of making things suit his arguement

Richard, there is one thing that you don't seem to have taken into account and that's the different stabilisation methods of pellets versus bullets.

Pellets are by and large (boat-tailed bullet type designs) have drag stabilisation as a large component of the total stabilisation (as the Cardews showed). Spin does come into it or we'd all be shooting smooth bores but drag stabilisation is very important. Needless to say I'd expect that to be a significant factor in the differences between a bullet and a diablo shaped pellet.

The effect of the different shapes on the wind's effects has got to be a factor too.

I don't think you can compare pellets to bullets. Especially when the bullets are being shoved along at 4000 fps!

Born Again Guest
    A major problem with airgun accuracy at long range is the trajectory. If a pellet travels 20" above line of sight then canting the rifle 90degrees will result in a 40+" windage error. OK, nobody is going to accidentaly cant the rifle by 90degrees but you can see the point. If an HMR had 1" drop over the same distance the maximum error would be 2". Take those figures down to a realistic 2-3degrees and you can see that the HMR will be in one hole, the airgun much larger.

A large cross type target gives you something to align your crosshairs on, for consistency, and is the best type to use.

Note: this simplistic explanation does not take scope height into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by M4 Carbine View Post
    What some people need to realise about long range shooting is that it's only meaningful if you have a reasonable degree of control over where the pellet or bullet strikes. There are cut-off points, depending on range and equipment where the whole exercise degenerates into a game of chance. Eventually you may as well be rolling 5 dice to see how long it takes for them all to come up sixes.

I politely asked Harry to tell us about his methods for reading the wind and applying corrections ( before I came to the conclusion he was full of it ) and he didn't choose to reply. Not because he was banned either, he had enough time to write a number of long rambling posts in the meantime, while ignoring the question.
    He did the same with me when I asked where he got his pellet wheights from and his energy at 100 and 150 yards with the JSB he was useing as it was about 70% up on reality.

Ben

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    He did the same with me when I asked where he got his pellet wheights from and his energy at 100 and 150 yards with the JSB he was useing as it was about 70% up on reality.

Ben

I understand that Harry tested the ballistic mathematics for Chairgun in association with the equations American author.

Ben, do your own figures allow for 4000ft altitude and the air temperature that Harry shoots at ?