Thread: 80's Break Barrels

MEATGRINDER Guest

80's Break Barrels

how'd you rate them,in order of what you personally think best and what you like best???

Hw80/35,Webley Omega,FWB 124/127,Bsa mercury,Original45 ect
    Last edited by MEATGRINDER; 13-06-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    1st: Webley Omega
    2nd: FWB Sport
    3rd: HW35
    4th: Anshutz LG335
    5th: Original Mod.45
    6th: HW80
    7th: Airgunaid SP-5

left the Mercury out as imho although a nice gun (have owned several variants), it wouldn't appear until maybe number twelve (and much lower if only in .177).
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 13-06-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to ad the Airgunaid -- well I had to really, didn't I (hee hee).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

MEATGRINDER Guest
    Can you give me your reasoning Gareth please??? If thats ok and you do not mind!

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGRINDER View Post
    how'd you rate them,in order of what you personally think best and what you like best???

Hw80/35,Webley Omega,FWB 124/127,Bsa mercury,Original45 ect
    HW80, FWB Sport, BSA Mercury, Webley Omega....

<<Insert 300 forgetable springers>>

Original 45

<<Insert 300 forgetable springers>>

HW35

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by MEATGRINDER View Post
    Can you give me your reasoning Gareth please??? If thats ok and you do not mind!
    ... No problem. Will edit them on to a copy of my post in red below (although my comments about the Mercury are self explanatory ).

1st: Webley Omega very good crisp action, good standard of finish, good build quality, consistent (I use a .177 carbine) and British.

2nd: FWB Sport Very well made and finished, consistent and probably the best looking of the seven rifles I have listed (I have the 127 .22 variant and a casual eye open for an affordable 124 .177).

3rd: HW35 Represents where imho modern full power air rifles began and still isn't a dated design (I have a std .177, Jubilee .22, and a T-H .22).

4th: Anshutz LG335 superbly engineered, wonderful build quality, consistent and very accurate although only 10ft.lb (I've a .177 example).

5th: Original Mod.45 Have never owned one but shot several and found them fantastic (am eyeing up the one currently for sale here in this section).

6th: HW80 Had four in total, and although heavy believe them particularly well made, well engineered, and ripe for fettling and tuning etc, and even (legally) converting to FAC.

7th: Airgunaid SP-5
    In truth these aren't that brilliant, but were manufactured by a friend's Dad in my home town so for me have a special relevance .
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 13-06-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to up-date with the Airgunaid bit.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Theoben Serocco: not a springer but mid 80's ones were very very good.
    HW 80: is the best as it has the larger air/spring chamber over the HW35; has the record trigger, accuracy and build quality.
    FWB Sport: as, though an older design, just works. OK trigger and accurate with two great advantages that the weight and ergonomics are near perfect.
    Original 45: which has everything but good woodwork and is in the heavy weight class.
    Webley Omega: ???? A whole lot of good points, full sized rifles as above, average trigger and no walnut woodwork, but at least it had a German barrel.
    Ans 335: great rifle just not enough power.
    Mercury S: not that refined but a nice handy size and at medium range is great for the price.
    BSF 70: what a little gem, but a bit dated.
    Last edited by Muskett; 13-06-2008 at 08:07 PM.

MEATGRINDER Guest
    Interesting.