Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R-77

R-77

Just got one of these, very nice, I like the "real" revolving cylinder.

See some mods coming on to up the power, seals etc. bit of a gap between the cylinder and barrel.

The barrel is held in by a grub screw in the top of the chassis, so it can be removed.

Does anyone know if you can get the 6" barrels separately?

atb

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Must admit to knowing very little about this gun.

How does it shoot? Whats it like for accuracy/power?

Seems very nice, light because of the plastic used to shroud the barrel and the cylinder etc.., power isn't special, but I've now modded mine to help keep the flow going thro' the barrel.

The main problem is that there is only a "seal" at the co2 delivery jet into the cylinder, mine looks a bit worn so there's a small gap. This lets the co2 escape out of the side, so isn't helpful, need to replace this.

The front end of the cylinder meets up with the barrel, but mine had a 1mm gap! even with the barrel pushed into the chassis as far as it could go.

I reckon this was losing me 20/30% of the co2 by the time the pellet had "jumped" the gap into the barrel, so you can see how poor the power was, by no means crap tho'.

See the attached for the mod I've now done, I've cut back approx. 0.75mm off the barrel where it butts up to the chassis, (ignore the 1mm I put on the drawing). this means it has moved toward the cylinder by that much.

Initially seems a lot better. I left 0.25 mm gap because I found that when you cock the hammer it pushes the cylinder forward a fraction and this now forces it up to the barrel, and there's no gap there for the shot, therefore reduced leakage..

When it's fired, the cylinder drops back fractionally, so clears for the next rotation of the cylinder to the next pellet. I don't think I can improve on this, the design won't let me know me do much more (unless I get an "O" ring relieved into the end around the actual steel part of the barrel, mmm there's a thought).

Not tried it properly, yet (this lunch). Let you know

atb

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Firestorm; 13-06-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Not tried it properly, yet (this lunch). Let you know

atb

Russ
    So How did it go Russ?
    Any improvement?

ATB
    Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

These are very underrated guns, the s&w get all the attention. I have the 6" version and had the 2.5" too. Sold it on here and still regret it.

Mine is quite accurate and very comfortable to hold, the grip not being slippery like some.

I like it almost as much as my crosman 357gt , another underrated gun.

Well,
    I'm quite chuffed. It's picked up a fair bit of ooomph after the mod, and seems more consisitent.

At 10m I can hit a coke can every shot... which i couldn't manage before. Mind you thats just me being crap probably.

At 6m I can get every shot onto an old pellet tin, looking good for the pistol comp.

Just need a 6" barrel now and knock up a new grip for my little mits.......

atb

Russ

R-77

Hi Russ,
    My R-77 arrived this morning.
    Its very windy outside so cant go play with it yet

I checked the gap at the front of the cylinder and found that its far less than a milimetre The larger gap is at the rear of the cylinder and is maybe half to three quaters of a mm. When the gun is cocked the gap at the front of the cylider is sealed totally which means the gap at the rea increases very slightly.
    I have yet to play, so I dont know what the power output will be.
    I read in my CO2 Pistols and Rifles book, (well worth buying by the way) that this is exactly as its supposed to be.
    I could glue a seal washer around the port, but it would have to be a very very slim one
    I notice your using your R-77 for the BBS Comp.
    What distance are you shooting? 6 Yard or 10 Meters? And whats the accuracy like?

I will let you know how my new baby performs.

TTFN
    Tony
    (Airgun Section)

Tony,

If you look where the port is for the co2 to enter the cylinder you'll see a seal, 19580, on the drg. in the other thread, which is probably like mine and has a flat on it. I reckon this could be replaced/modded and reduce the gap even less.

I'll find out.

6 yds mate, just fits into our warehouse at work I don't reckon my scores will be much cop while I'm messing with it, but bugger it' I'll have a go.

atb

Russ

Tony,

If you look where the port is for the co2 to enter the cylinder you'll see a seal, 19580, on the drg. in the other thread, which is probably like mine and has a flat on it. I reckon this could be replaced/modded and reduce the gap even less.
    Russ
    Russ,
    I have been playing with the R-77 this afternoon (after being a good boy and getting on with my studies)

At the rear of the cylinder where the flat is, when the trigger is pulled the bar goes up to cover the "Firing pin". Now if you let it run the whole process go in slow-mo (holding the trigger without a co2 cart in int) the hammer strikes the bar pushing it into the "firing pin" the pin goes in and the (what I 1st thought was a washer) moves out and pushes up against the cylinder.
    Hence, there is no gap at all.
    I put a Co2 cart in a few mins ago and dry-fired into the foam at the back of my gun case.
    Put a hell of a dent in it
    I then put a metal core "Promethius" type pell in the cylinder!
    Result........
    Through the foam, through the 1/4 inch plywood and a hell of a bump in the aluminium outside the case
    Very nice, I know its right up there with my other Co2's for power.
    It also seems quiet compared to the loudest (my CP99) although I know it does'nt seem as powerful as the 6inch 357 Crosman it sure aint far behind

I am dying to get out and play with the sights and see what my new baby is capable of
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    moves out and pushes up against the cylinder.
    Hence, there is no gap at all.
    Interesting, I'll have a look at mine tonight.

atb
    Russ

Interesting, I'll have a look at mine tonight.

atb
    Russ
    Went outside this evening to have a play with setting up sights for the comp.
    I had a play with the R-77 as well. Lovely
    Shot consistently although a little to the left and down, sort that tomorrow.
    Tony
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    and the (what I 1st thought was a washer) moves out and pushes up against the cylinder.
    Looked last night, mine stays in the same place, doesn't move up to the cylinder, leaves a 0.5mm gap.

the co2 port part 18292 isn't loose, and moving forward is it? mine is solid.

Mine moves the same as Phantom sniper, Still a small gap at front of cylinder though. Great gun for the money

I shall have to do a bit more investigating.

Russ

Hammer Bars

Can anyone tell me why the revolver type air pistols use this moving bar that interferes with the hammer /pin ......all other types of co2 use a direct hit on the valve pin ?

Comfusticated I am
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "