Thread: How do fellow members protect their Walnut stocks

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!

Question How do fellow members protect their Walnut stocks

Up until recently I have used first Tru Oil and recently Danish oil to protect and enhance my Air Rifles walnut stocks. I have always been happy with the results until now, but looking at fellow enthusiast rifles recently I like the flatter finish they have achieved with nothing more than Walnut oil rubbed onto their hands and into the wood grain.

I always liked the deep shine given by Tru oil/Danish oil but find myself swinging more to the finishes the rifles came from the factory with.

So I think I'll take the finishes already achieved with Tru/Danish oil down a few levels with a very fine wire wool then finish off with just a good buff.
    Any other ideas there much appreciated chaps .

I now want to try Walnut oil and would like to know its general availability and the best brands to use.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

I use Parker Hale Walnut Oil.

I have just finished an Airsporter stock with this oil and hand rubbed it creating a great deal of friction, the finished result, after about 20 hours in total is superb.

Mike

I use Waitrose brand and a bottle lasts a heck of a long time. However, if the wood has already been finished with Tru-oil/Danish/linseed - I don't think that the walnut oil is going to penetrate.

I regard Tru-oil/Danish/linseed as a varnish - not as I understand an oil. But when I have refinished a few stocks recently and take the Danish /William's oil back down with very fine iron wool and then beeswax - it does look very good - and non shiny.

Thumbs up protecting your rifle

Easy just dont let K***y get hold of it

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

oiled stock

During the close season i use alkanet root oil, rub it in once a week, but when in use and exposed to the elements i agree with mikewaring and use walnut oil

Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???
    sorry mate just a ham fisted (but lovable) club member didnt mean to ???????????????????? anyone grayling knows who i mean and my answer was aimed at him another clue to his name *enn*

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    I use Parker Hale Walnut Oil.

I have just finished an Airsporter stock with this oil and hand rubbed it creating a great deal of friction, the finished result, after about 20 hours in total is superb.

Mike
    Cheers Mike, they actually sell it on FLEABAY.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I use Waitrose brand and a bottle lasts a heck of a long time. However, if the wood has already been finished with Tru-oil/Danish/linseed - I don't think that the walnut oil is going to penetrate.

I regard Tru-oil/Danish/linseed as a varnish - not as I understand an oil. But when I have refinished a few stocks recently and take the Danish /William's oil back down with very fine iron wool and then beeswax - it does look very good - and non shiny.

Cheers Dunc, I think you are right about the ones I've used already being a Varnish, but have only used them on my S400/S410K Haenel and a few rifles I no longer own. Was looking more at my Venom 80, AA Camargue which I want to keep as original as poss.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Would that be Sir Clifford with a C and not a K as in KLIFFY Malc dude .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops