Thread: Dodgy Co2 cart?

Dodgy Co2 cart?

Hi Guys,
    I went to the indoor pistol range in Hull for the first time last night
    Facilities could be improved cosmetically and the lighting on the Pistol Range leaves a lot to be desired, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
    I went through 10 Co2 carts in my pistols (and I used em til exhauseted,, cuz Im tight)
    Well I used All my Co2 pistols and my springer pistol.
    I put a cartridge im my Crosman 357-6 and filled 4 magazines with pellets.
    My first shot went with a hell of a bang the noise was deafening the muzzle flipped up and I felt the grips part. A number of people commented on the noise and the "recoil" as the gun fired.
    The next 39 shots all went off as per normal. Is it possible that that particular cartridge had more Co2 pressure?

ATB
    Tony

Could it have had its temperature raised somehow? That would increase the pressure. In my experience they do vary but usually less than 12g.

I have some old (20+ years) S&W 12.5g cartridges and they are initially slightly more powerful but not on the scale that you describe.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...nbud/SWCO2.jpg
    Last edited by Jethro; 08-08-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo

It is impossible to increase the pressure

by putting more gas in it.

This is because CO2 is a liquid and you can only pressurise a gas.

The CO2 pressure does increase with temperature.

At a constant temperature CO2 will give a constant pressure.

If you let the CO2 warm back up between shots then CO2 guns generally give an exceptionally narrow speed deviation.

That is until you have used up 70% of the gas and then it changes phase to a gas and the remaining shots are of a diminshing speed.
    Crosman 2240
    Crosman 2250
    Webley Stingray .22
    BSA Lightning .177
    Weihrauch HW45 .177
    Falcon FN8-PG .22
    Chinese Air Rifle .177

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyCrosman View Post
    by putting more gas in it.

This is because CO2 is a liquid and you can only pressurise a gas.

The CO2 pressure does increase with temperature.

At a constant temperature CO2 will give a constant pressure.

If you let the CO2 warm back up between shots then CO2 guns generally give an exceptionally narrow speed deviation.

That is until you have used up 70% of the gas and then it changes phase to a gas and the remaining shots are of a diminshing speed.
    I thought the above was the case, just wasnt 100% sure.

I got my carts from the tyreinflators people and have been very happy with them.
    But this one went with an initial bang that people noticed and I felt.
    Sort of reminded be of the good ol'e days.
    All the carts I used were kept in a pouch on my belt so I cant see how they would have changed temp that much.
    Best Yoda voice:
    "ummmm....Puzzled by this I am ...."

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    I got my carts from the tyreinflators people
    Is it possible a 16g canister was included in your batch by mistake? Or maybe they're a different size, I don't know.

(Checked and it appears they are they same size)
    Last edited by Jethro; 08-08-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added "...they are the same size"

Hi Jethro,
    Physically the all carts I recieved are the same size.
    The cart is still in my 357-6. Guess if I get another 40-80 shots before they start falling short of the target may tell me the answer to that.
    I plan on doing some paper punching 2morrow, so will see

Tony.

Just thinking to a time a few weeks ago. I was firing my CP99. After putting a plain cart in there was a very loud bang (not as loud as the one last night) and the co2 holder fell out (not completely just a cm or so).
    Thought nothing of it then. Just assumed I hadnt seated the holder correctly
    (Airgun Section)

the size of the co2 will make no difference, only the ambient temp or the temp the carts are stored at, if you could make an adaptor you could connect a 20oz paintball tank you would only end up with more shots/more consistency
    Hw110k,hw35e,pp700,750, , crossman 776 ,2200 magnum,140, 1077,m1 carbine, 1377,fn8 lighthunter,Sheridan blue streak, Sharp ace , Sharp innova, tx200hc,weblry premier,yunker2,1999 makerov, Baikal drozd

You sure it was a normal 12gram cartridge? there are 12gram carts that are C02 filled by also have some sort of special cleaning solution in them too.

I fired a cleaning cartridge by mistake once and the first few shots really went with a punch.. and recoil as described!!

AD K

Perhaps, for some reason, some liquid CO2 is getting into the valve and expanding there when the canister is first punctured?

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by AD_K View Post
    You sure it was a normal 12gram cartridge? there are 12gram carts that are C02 filled by also have some sort of special cleaning solution in them too.

I fired a cleaning cartridge by mistake once and the first few shots really went with a punch.. and recoil as described!!

AD K
    Cough.....Bullcrap!....... ..Cough!

Sorry......

One step closer to me throwing my hand in!

No Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Big Bang Theory

Tony
    You say this is the second time you have had a bigger blast. Are you looking at a gun problem?
    I have no idea of the mechanics of your gun but if there is a possibility of the seals leaking CO2 into another part of the firing train then when you release the gas you are getting more gas than you should. Not more pressure but a longer propellant action.
    Regards
    jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

[QUOTE=AD_K;2888380 there are 12gram carts that are C02 filled by also have some sort of special cleaning solution in them too.
    AD K[/QUOTE]

I think your on about Crosman powerlets, they do have an additive included.
    I can't see that being a cause of this problem though.

It's got nothing to do with the gun........

Tony, stop having sprouts with your tea before going to the range........

atb

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Tony
    You say this is the second time you have had a bigger blast. Are you looking at a gun problem?
    I have no idea of the mechanics of your gun but if there is a possibility of the seals leaking CO2 into another part of the firing train then when you release the gas you are getting more gas than you should. Not more pressure but a longer propellant action.
    Regards
    jim
    Both incidents (if you can call em that) were with different guns.
    The first one was with my Walther CP99, when the Co2 holder came out about a cm (thought I hadnt seated it properly in the grip).
    Second was with my Crosman 357-6 revolver. That was the BIG bang. Like I said people noticed and I felt the flip, the grips being held on with an elastic band parted.
    I was using bog standard bulbs. All were kept in a pouch on my belt and it was fairly cool in the range building
    One of those mysteries I guess. Not happened since.
    Wish every shot went like that one though that would be cool.
    Cheers for the suggestions. Will have to remeber the keep em warm in winter one
    Tony
    (Airgun Section)