Thread: Buying Collectables in the USA

Buying Collectables in the USA

Hi, does anyone know whether there are any restrictions to buying collectable airguns in the USA? (Non FAC)
    Regards
    Robin.

Collectibles from USA

No restrictions for sub FAC but a lot of hassle. I have brought in a number of Crosman CO2 pistols. First you have to find a willing sender, best to use a courier rather than the USPS. Get the sender to include on the Customs docs words such as "Antique air pistol less than 6 ft lbs muzzle energy". You will then have to run the gauntlet of Parcelforce and Customs in the UK. Customs will want proof of the legality of the gun which is sometimes difficult to provide. I contacted Customs and provided them with Crosman ME/MV details from the internet, plus a copy of my gun club ID and Range Officer qualification. Took months! Perhaps I was unlucky. Worth it to get a first model, first variant Cr150.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    No restrictions for sub FAC but a lot of hassle. I have brought in a number of Crosman CO2 pistols. First you have to find a willing sender, best to use a courier rather than the USPS. Get the sender to include on the Customs docs words such as "Antique air pistol less than 6 ft lbs muzzle energy". You will then have to run the gauntlet of Parcelforce and Customs in the UK. Customs will want proof of the legality of the gun which is sometimes difficult to provide. I contacted Customs and provided them with Crosman ME/MV details from the internet, plus a copy of my gun club ID and Range Officer qualification. Took months! Perhaps I was unlucky. Worth it to get a first model, first variant Cr150.

Mike95
    Thanks Mike, that sounds like you had a lot of grief!
    Anyone else with a good way - perhaps split into spare parts?
    Regards
    Robin.

The authorities, ie customs, definitely appear to be cracking down on imports from the US on anything that looks like it might be a 'firearm'.
    They even have their own chronograph now, and if an item is found over the limit, the gun will be impounded until the buyer can prove he has the necessary documentation, ie an FAC.
    In one case a buyer had to pay a gunshop to take the item on his behalf, and then have it de-tuned.
    It has almost reached the point where buying stuff from the US is simply too much agggravation, unless it is something particularly desirable.
    Fortunately imports from Europe appear quite straightforward, with no questions asked - at the moment!

Customs

When I last dealt with Customs they did not even have a chrono! Problem with a lot of old guns is that they need new seals and so cannot be tested on entry to UK. As I said in last post I found ME/MV specs for the CR150 on the internet and e-mailed details to Customs.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    The authorities, ie customs, definitely appear to be cracking down on imports from the US on anything that looks like it might be a 'firearm'.
    They even have their own chronograph now, and if an item is found over the limit, the gun will be impounded until the buyer can prove he has the necessary documentation, ie an FAC.
    In one case a buyer had to pay a gunshop to take the item on his behalf, and then have it de-tuned.
    It has almost reached the point where buying stuff from the US is simply too much agggravation, unless it is something particularly desirable.
    Fortunately imports from Europe appear quite straightforward, with no questions asked - at the moment!

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Regards

Robin.

i had a crosman shipped over about 6 months ago no problems. In total ive bought 3, 2 from the USA and one from Canada. I had to pay a clearance fee for the 1377 and nothing for the 1389 or the 2289. Though i had to pay a clearance fee for parts i bought for the 1389 2 months back but overall no troubles.

If your worried have the valve shipped seperately as 'parts' and the rest of the gun shipped as a 'non-functioning air pistol' or as 'parts' again.

its worth it if you find a gem of a deal or a rare gun you've been after a while.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377