Thread: Webley Tempest

Webley Tempest

When did production of these cease and where is the serial number located. Thanks

Webley Tempest

Hello,

Webley as a company ceased to excist in 2005; likely the production of the Tempest stopped (much) sooner, but on this forum there are members with more and authoritive knowledge.
    Some Tempests (and Hurricanes) have no number at all.
    I found these in the black boxes, I assume of the early 80's, while those in plain (brown) corrugalated carton carried numbers again left above the trigger, while that number was stamped also on the box.
    Could be a coincidence of course, and all this occurred in the Netherlands.
    Is there some conclusions to be made out of that book on these pistols?

Regards,
    Mike Meijer

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by ianm1 View Post
    When did production of these cease and where is the serial number located. Thanks
    Stopped approx 2005 when the original British Webley & Scott company went into liquidation and stopped production ... No post WWII Webley air pistols have serial numbers. Hope this helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

tempest

I don't know for sure but probably about 4years ago
    When discontinued, price was about £116 although you could get them for £80-£90 discounted
    Tempests sold in the UK do not have serial numbers. Those destined for the USA
    do. Perhaps one or two other countries specified a requirement for a serial number to be stamped on the pistol
    I have seen several stamped on the alloy body that have found their way into circulation in the UK
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I don't know for sure but probably about 4 years ago ... Tempests sold in the UK do not have serial numbers. Those destined for the USA do ... I have seen several stamped on the alloy body that have found their way into circulation in the UK
    Hi John so we agree last produced/available new around 2005 then . I didn't know that the USA models had to have numbers though, fascinating info matey, fascinating -- and the main stay of today's air gun school lesson (every day is a school day ). God I love this section of the BBS . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Yep, I got a Tempest with brown handle and serial number, destined for USA, but luckily didn't get there! Bought it off her, real beaut', don't know if it had ever been used.

John
    Rapid .20 with Huggett Silencer, TX200HC (.22 soon to be .20), BSA Lightning XL Tactical .22 (Venomed), Knives and an Axe!