Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
1) I was starting to notice a lot of "misfires" when practicing recently: thought it was the different brand of pellets I was using. THEN I noticed what it was!

As I'd raise the pistol to take a practice sighting (I'm talking about my Smith C02), I was unconsciously pulling slightly in the trigger: "indexing" (is that the right word?) it, so that after a couple times it would rotate out of position so that my intended first shot (of the six I'd loaded) would really be the 2nd round, maybe even the 3rd, in the cylinder!

Be careful!

2) My method of practicing for the Police shoot has been to put the pistol aside after the comp, then dig it out a few days before the next comp and practice - all 3 stages at a piece - for a couple days.

This is silly! I'm going to try to practice a little, every day. The comp breaks down into 3 stages: why not practice every day, but just one stage each day? Devote most of your time to the stage you shoot the worst. Then, put it all together at the comp!

Cheers,

Jim
Some real good points raised here Jim.
The skipping of shots is interesting.

The Co2 version is like the Smith L & N frames. You can index the cylinder all the way around without firing a shot. Pulling back 80% or less on the trigger will rotate the cylinder and then letting the trigger return to rest will make it ready for the next in line pellet.

Over the years I've found the best way to shoot is double action only (I had the single action disconnected) Using the first joint of the index finger and not the pad of the finger pull back untill the hammer is almost full cock, you can then pause momentarily to make any minor adjustments to your sight picture and then let the shot break.

The main reason I adopted this way is because I found there was a different impact point between single action and double action.

And, you're 100% right on using 3 targets for PP1. Much easier to score and lets you know where you may have any weaknesses. I'm just too figgin' lazy to do it this way. But, I will start doing it this from this month.

Good luck, Phil