Thread: Original model 45s

Original 45

Hi there,
    airshooters in rainham had one 2 weeks ago in .20 going for £90!.
    Condition looked ok at a glance!

ATB
    Steve

They are a lot thinner on the ground than you would expect. The last batch was in .20 and didn't sell well at the time though collectable now. The .177 is the one to get as they shoot the best however it took me quite a while to find a good one.

Condition is very mixed from really quite poor to good or almost mint. They seemed to have been either used a lot or not at all.

They haven't come up on this forum that often. Check the gun shop trade as they do turn up, but its luck.

Find a good one and they shoot superbly. There is the odd real dog especially those shortened.

Is there any difference between the different calibres apart from breech block and barrel?

I bought a 177 soon after they came out, all sorts of things fell to that little rifle at all sorts of distances but rabbits were its mainstay, Apel one piece mount, 4x40 scope, push on moddy. Then I discovered rimmys !!. After 20 yaers of not using it I gave her away to a friend who shoots squirrels in his garden.

I found it perfect for head shots as rabbits rolled over without the leaping about they do when you hit them with a 22 pellet. Makes 3s and 4s possable per stalk.

Ironically I could never kill pigeons well with it unless head shooting, this was difficult when they were roosting up a tree in Febrauary. You had to shoot so low to get under the crop and find the chest that in the end I switched to a 12 bore.

A

Later they messed with the trigger unit. Early ones had an overly complicated but extremely good one.
    Be careful when tuning as they had a habit of going over the limit. Others may fill in the details. The one I've recently bought in .177 wants to tack drive; its a good one

I have a .22 and a .177 RWS variant of the '45 and also a .22 Original model. I have replaced the leather with ptfe on the 2 RWS versions and put nylatron guides in them. They are powerful and accurate.

Lovely rifles.

Dave