cheers tac - and just to answer another similar question, are the lubricated wads doing the same (or similar job) as the E45?

Sort of. Unless you have access to 1/8" felt and a suitably sized wad-cutter to make your own they are also pretty expensive, too. Wonder-Wads is the name to look out for. Maybe there is a equivalent, but I've never seen them. Up to you, if money is no object.

i actually like the idea of using e45 as i know that for me, the cleaning will be the bit that puts me off or it would be left for tomorrow and i'd end up knackering the gun!

If you are going the Pyrodex route then cleaning the very same day is an absolute must - same with 777 and 'Cleanshot'.

so my interpretation is (and please correct me if i'm wrong)
[*]that people use slightly oversized balls to get a perfect fit hence shaving off the little ring of lead on the way.

Most BP revolvers of .44cal shoot a ball of at least .451 diameter. Some, like the ROA, shoot a larger ball of .457" diameter - this is why over here the arm seems to have gotten the nomenclature of .45"cal.
[*]powder is essential (obviously) and the choice to go for pyrodex over BP is personal preference rather than a limitation on the guns part (with pyrodex being fine on FAC but BP needs an extra explosives license)

MY choice is Pyrodex for a number of reasons -

a. It's all I can get - this is a pretty good reason to me.

b. BP is a real hassle AFAIAC - my home insurance company does not like it in the house.

c. I've been shooting Pyrodex P it since it came out, and its funny little ways are well under control [it likes v. hot caps].

[*]the use of a filler is not essential and is again, a personal preference thing

If you load less than capacity loads, say 18-20gr in a .44, then you are going to need a filler to get the ball in the best place - just below the rim of the chamber. I use 24gr of Pyrodex P in my ROA, and this is just about flush with the end of the chamber leaving room for a 'wipe over' of E45 - MY preferred lube. I've never met anybody else here in UK who uses it, but over in Germany, where I began my BP career in the mid-60's, they mostly use the German version of the same thing in handguns. I would point out that the German BP shooting scene has over 1 million participants....
[*]E45 helps stop the powder residue etc. from sticking on and makes the cleaning process a lot less labour intensive.

IMO. yes.
[*]there are no right or wrong answers in the world of black powder!

Correct. Apart from the obvious use of correct loading procedures and safe handling - and there IS a dedicated BP RCO course if you want to take it - so much of BP shooting is down to myth and legend, hearsay and gossip, trial and error as well as hit and miss...

if all the above is true...... then i could be on my way to bp shooting with a pistol, balls, pyrodex, powder flask & a trip to boots?[/QUOTE]

Ahem. You'll be needing caps somewhere in there, too, unless you intend to stand there and go 'Bang' very loudly. And it's Pyrodex P you'll be needing for BP revolver, as well.

Luck, eh?

tac