Thread: Mercury owners

Mercury owners

can anyone help me on this one,
    my mercury mk3 barrel latch pin part number DP033 turns freely and appears quite loose, is this normal or should this pin be fixed and not turn at all. please note this is not the barrel axis bolt.
    Last edited by 1984; 03-05-2009 at 07:25 PM.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

hi mate ,i will have a look tommorow on mine .
    bob.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

mercury mk3 latch pin

thanks Bob,
    i found it spun around whilst the gun was cocked so the pin was not held by the plunger.
    Regards Geoff.

should be tight

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

yup mines tight to,and shes been well used.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Just a few thoughts but it sounds as though there are 2 problems that need to be addressed. A new latch pin should be fitted if the existing one has been worn or bashed loose (is it the original pin or perhaps a 'home sourced' replacement that has never fitted properly?)
    The plunger should however make firm contact with the pin anyway and stop it rotating with the barrel closed (gun uncocked - not necessary to cock it to check). How about removing barrel, taking out plunger and spring and checking these for wear, make sure plunger hole is clean and free of obstructions? Try plunger engageement with a new spring in place? If someone you know has a BSA springer check to see where the plunger on his or her barrel sits with the barrel open i.e. in relation to the cut-out under the barrel that accommodates the latch pin.
    I suppose it is a bit of a process of elimination but you want to end up with a pin that does not move and a totally solid barrel lock-up, how is the barrel lock-up anyway, if the plunger is not making proper contact then I would expect there to be some noticeable play or the barrel would be too easy to knock open.......if I've missed the point somewhere along the way then.....I'll get me coat

mercury latch pin

hi, took the barrel off this morning and the latch pin fell out (stock off of course)
    looks like its never been to bits as there is no blueing off the screw heads and pins etc, the latch and spring is working fine with no signs of any ware, there is no ware on the latch pin either other than it is a loose fit in the compression tube, put it back using bearing lock , if it fails ill be looking at a slightly wider pin to make up for the ware in chamber.