Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benelli Comfort

First kill for the Benelli yesterday! A nice crow whilst out rough shooting.

So I picked the gun up friday and went off the shoot skeet all afternoon,
    Looked after the kids whilst the mrs worked Saturday, went clay shooting sunday got invited rough shooting Monday.
    Left the house a 6 am monday and got back just in time to take the mrs to work for her late shift
    This Benelli will get me in trouble she's not pleased.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

I have just taken delivery of a 28 inch barrell comfortech Benelli like yours . It was second hand but in excellent condition. I was amazed at how light the recoil felt compared to my Miroku MK38 sport. Bennelli claim 47% reduction and it did feel like the claim was true. It cycled 24 and 28 loads faultlesly. So far am very impressed with it.

Me and my brother put about 200 carts through the gun today.
    Including a box of 24 grams and 21 grams fired the lot without a problem
    Its a Belting gun
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

I shot about 140 24g loads through mine a few weeks ago, after having only shot around 60 28g and 30g loads from new. I was shooting just single clays at the time as it was a very intense gun-fitting and coaching session.

I did see just a few shells got stuck half way out of the breech, but most were spat out just fine. I have since shot 39g game loads with perfect cycling, so once a few more boxes have gone through I hope to try the 24g again just to see.

Obviously Daveo hasn't had any 'failure to cycle' incidents (with the second gun) and neither have I. Which 'make' of 24gms cartridges were they, John? Did they have 70mm cases? Were they plastic or fibre wad (plastic cycle more effectively, I believe). Or did you try a 'cocktail' of 24gms cartridges. I have always (so far) purposely sought 24gms shells which have 70mm cases for use in my M2 - I'll continue to do so, erring on the side of caution. The inertia driven cycling of these guns is just ... enthralling. Regards ... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 10-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

These were Express High Velocity 7.5s with plastic wad. It really was only the odd one that did not come out, but I will try again sometime once the gun has had more use. Never has a 28 or up given any trouble.

I am familiar with these cartridges and have fired some (not many) through my M2. Anyway you only had a very few 'failures' - Lyalvale Express H.V. 24gms have 65mm cases. I liked them in the o/u but not my first choice in the semi. As you infer, maybe your Benelli has a few 'rough edges' which need to be rounded off before it 'loosens up.' The other thing people talk about with semis is lubrication. Too much can be a bad thing. I've only had the loading bolt 'carriage' apart once and, after cleaning, merely wiped it over with the proverbial 'oily rag' impregnated with Ballistol, though any good gun oil would be appropriate. Not "3 in 1" or WD40 though please, 'listeners.' I am not, of course, intimating you personally would do such a thing either. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

That's a point, I think I read somewhere that 70mm carts are more reliable in the M2 than 65mm.

To be honest I will be shooting in the field far more than clays, so in a way I don't mind but of course we all like our hard-earned to get us top kit.

I have never had a problem using 28g fibre wad Gamebore in my M2 but they are 70mm, you will find that besides lubricating the rails where the bolt runs, if you also put a spot of lube on what Benelli call the Locking head pin where it rubs against the bolt body, & also some on the bolt head "lugs" you will not have much trouble.

In fact I use a dab of grey graphite grease on my Locking head pin & have never had any issues with it.

N

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
    I have never had a problem using 28g fibre wad Gamebore in my M2 but they are 70mm, you will find that besides lubricating the rails where the bolt runs, if you also put a spot of lube on what Benelli call the Locking head pin where it rubs against the bolt body, & also some on the bolt head "lugs" you will not have much trouble.

In fact I use a dab of grey graphite grease on my Locking head pin & have never had any issues with it.

N
    Oh yes, it's all coming back to me now - I followed your lubrication regime when you 'spoke' about it in another thread, which is why I had the bolt carriage apart last time. Not having any graphite grease to hand, I used either white lithium grease (Napier VP90) or molybdenum based grease, can't remember which. Providing you only use a smear, I doubt it matters a great deal. Good idea though, since in the assembly it's all metal-to-metal contact. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon

The graphite tip came from a top 3 gun competitor in the USA, we have shot together a number of times & he says its something a lot of the guys over there are using on there Benelli's.

I have used it on my M2 from new & I have never had any failures to feed, he also said use an FP10 lube or a newer version called weapon shield, again I have used it from new without any problems.

I can only speak as I find but I see no reason to change as it works.

N

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    Semi-autos can be a bit picky, even M2s, I think. My M2 has now shot in excess of 15,000 rounds in 3 years or so , and has rarely had a jam.

However I almost always use Blue Diamond clay cartridges. I know for a fact that if I use White Gold carts, from the same manufacturer, they will jam quite a lot. No idea why, but the answer is, of course, don't use them

The gun cycles everything else no worries, with the exception of some of those horrible D&J cheapos, when I tried to use those it attempted to extract the spent cartridge, but just ripped the cap off the body of the cartridge, causing a major jam. I'll never use them again ....
    Last edited by throdgrain; 07-07-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: I got it wrong, its 15000 not 20000. Sorry.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    I know for a fact that if I use White Gold carts, from the same manufacturer, they will jam quite a lot. No idea why, but the answer is, of course, don't use them
    Hi Mark

That is a bit strange as I & quite a few of the PSG guys I know use the White Gold XLR's exclusively & have found them to very reliable in the M2,

I use the fibre wad 7 1/2 load in 70mm & they also work great in the Supernova.

Just goes to show that everyone needs to try whats available in YOUR OWN gun & not just take the word of others as gospel.

N

Im abit lost with these areas to lubricate.....
    Could someone possibly take a picture of the right bits to grease?
    I would be really grateful.
    Good deals with:

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    Just goes to show that everyone needs to try whats available in YOUR OWN gun & not just take the word of others as gospel.
    This is exactly what I just said in a PM

I also said, buy a pump action if you want 100% reliability with everything
    Mark