Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July Police Pistol Starts on the 25th!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Some days everything goes right, the lighting, the temperature and a month with a 'Y' in it. No-one was more surprised than me. I've not got into the 290's since our Centre Fire days, like 12yrs ago.

Maybe since I outed all my CO2 except the S&W it has made a difference. I like the idea of just one gun, but as Jim rightly pointed out. The man with one gun is to be feared, untill it breaks

On the lookout for another S&W to have as a spare or maybe try the iron sights section.

Jason, that was a good score with the iron sights, guess you've got younger eyes than me

Not only a thanks to our Jim for running the comp so well, but congratulations on your excellent score.

Ain't it good to see the women shooting along side. Many years ago I recall seeing a girl shooting Practical Pistol, I think her name was Elaine Berwick or something similar, who was amazing, put many of us guys to shame.

Off we go again, pratice, practice, practice.

Good luck, Phil
    Great message all around, Phil! I heartily agree with all you said: AND, you've given me a new "shooter's motto"!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks, Cookie. But the real thanks goes to you and Paddy and Tony, for getting this whole UBC club and comp started, and for all your work on a daily basis to keep in running.

Mark, you have my condolences. My P3 conked out, so I'll be doing only C02 shooting for awhile.

Which gets us back to what Phil said: looks as though the best thing to do is to have a "gunnish interest", or 2 or 3, - something(s) you're really going to participate in - and to have a couple of guns for each interest.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Great message all around, Phil! I heartily agree with all you said: AND, you've given me a new "shooter's motto"!

Jim

The man with one gun is to be feared. Until it breaks!

To be honest Jim, it had never dawned on me until you mentioned it in a pm.

I've never had a cartridge gun break on me, despite my model 27 having about 100.000 rounds through it. I did at one time have a damaged barrel when doing a Skittle Shoot. On the last run one round was primmer only and just about made it into the barrel. As I was trying for a fast run I pulled the next shot before the brain fully engaged and sent a second round right up behind it. It gave a nice 'balloon' effect to it.

These no doubting the build quality of the Umarex is good, but not obviously as strong as a cartridge pistol. I'm now on my third S&W, the other two being worn out. Maybe I should give them a bit more love and attention, but to me they are just a tool to get the job done. When broke, replace.

I do show more respect to my older pistols (and women)

Good luck, Phil
    Last edited by Phil G; 03-08-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Hi Guys & Gals

I told you Mick "Mickson" you won't be having that spoon God I done pants!!

Welldone to all shooters. I've updated the Comp Website > HERE < with all the Practical Pistol Scores.

& thanks Jim for the kind words, we are ALL one team

As for the Side Shoot

The good thing is I managed to shoot each one of the looters. One in the hand & another went straight through the loot & into his chest (I used armoured peircing pellets, ) So I didn't do too bad

Oh well lets see what I can achieve next month

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Thumbs up Comp

Thanks for running comp, will try again soon when I've tweaked "softies" and got some practice in...Mike...

[QUOTE I'm now on my third S&W, the other two being worn out. Maybe I should give them a bit more love and attention, but to me they are just a tool to get the job done. When broke, replace.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Good luck, Phil[/QUOTE]

And I'll bet your older pistols and women appreciate that, Phil!

How long did your 2 Umarex Smiths last? I've had mine about a year, but have had to get it repaired once. Fortunately, I bought it new and it was still on warranty, so it cost me basically just shipping and handling to get it fixed.

Not only is the build quality not as good, but I understand they have more working parts than their cartridge cousins.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    [QUOTE I'm now on my third S&W, the other two being worn out. Maybe I should give them a bit more love and attention, but to me they are just a tool to get the job done. When broke, replace.[/color][/size][/font]

Good luck, Phil

How long did your 2 Umarex Smiths last? I've had mine about a year, but have had to get it repaired once. Fortunately, I bought it new and it was still on warranty, so it cost me basically just shipping and handling to get it fixed.

Not only is the build quality not as good, but I understand they have more working parts than their cartridge cousins.

Jim[/quote]

The first two Smiths lasted a couple of years each. They were subject to a lot of wear and tear and little or no love and attention.
    Whist I had no breakage as such you just feel they are getting loose and too much play in the moving parts. I figured whilst some parts could be replaced and rebuilt things like wear on the frame etc are not worth the cost and time.

Maybe to my shame I have no emotional or sentimental attachment to them. Just like a worn out TV set, when broke or worn, kick 'em out.

Well Jim, I try my best. I'm halfway through rebuilding an Original 5 at the moment. The one with the gray resin grip, not to every-one's liking, but it think it represents the era it was made, 1960's

Picture Here

Well, again Jim I try my best. The present Mrs G has been around since the late 60's with me. I've done my best to keep her in shape. You know the sort of thing, making sure there is always enough washing and ironing to do. Letting her have four children by me. Ensuring she gets enough exercise with a bit of house decorating, waxing the car etc. I sure hope she appreciates all my efforts, maybe she's a little shy to mention it to me.

I figure I've managed to keep her in good shape.

This photo was taken about 38yrs ago

and this one a couple of months ago

Good luck, Phil
    Last edited by Phil G; 03-08-2009 at 06:22 PM.