Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
Here's an interesting point. On the Chambers web site, the Mercury S barrel part numbers are the same as Mercury Challenger's (and different from the standard Mercury).

The Mercury Challenger was the most accurate BSA we tested in SAR, and the group sizes were half those of the standard Mercury.
Concur with the Challenger point. Mine was the best 0.177 spring rifle I ever had. Have had Mercury 'S' in both calibres and very fine handling rifles too. Only had the Sport in 124 flavour and admiration for the internal design and engineering will never fade but lacks the sparkle for me. Never had a modern Webley so can't comment on Omegas and Longbows, although always wanted an Omega perhaps because I kept reading that I should have one much the same as with the Sport and other German models.

I too recall the fashion of buying German rather than British in the 80's and, just so no-one gets the idea I will knock German for the heck of it, I currently have a love affair with the HW95; a worthy successor to the HW85 which I favoured when I thought the 80 or 77 were just too heavy to lug around all day!

Fit and finish applies to the rifle/shooter interface as well as the mechanics of the gun and that's a very personal thing!!

Let's face it, we should all have one or two or three of each!!

Happy airgunning and May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!
ATVB
David