Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused....... As usual

Question Confused....... As usual

Last night Cookiewas saying (if I understood him correctly) that one of the reasons my aim was better with the LP10 than the CP99 was the lenght of the barrel.

I was thinking today... Does this mean that I have more chance of hitting the target if I put the fake silencer back on the CP99?

Oh and I was chuffed to bits last night when I got a bullseye with the CP99, only for Cookie to point out he had done it with his rifle
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Only if it's long enough to touch to the target
    Nick

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    I assume that this is due, at least in part, to the longer sight base? If that is so, has anyone tried some sort of extended sight rail arrangement - longer than the barrel - to improve aim?

Just a random thought, like

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

longer sight base

Compare Tempest & Hurricane.
    The Hurricane has an extension on the barrel which only serves to extend the distance of the foresight and the rear of the pistol is (I am reliably informed) also extended compared to the Tempest. If you could get some iron sights onto the scope rail you would near enough double the sight base.

Hey Nick how about it?

Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    Last night Cookiewas saying (if I understood him correctly) that one of the reasons my aim was better with the LP10 than the CP99 was the lenght of the barrel.

I was thinking today... Does this mean that I have more chance of hitting the target if I put the fake silencer back on the CP99?

Oh and I was chuffed to bits last night when I got a bullseye with the CP99, only for Cookie to point out he had done it with his rifle
    Sorry, but just to put this into perspective - the lp10 is a match level, Olympic final winning pistol - the CP99 on the other hand, no matter what the fan boys say, is a good fun plinker. Long sight base or not, they are worlds apart. LP2 compact and the morini short also have shorter barrels, and then there is the lp10 compact as well, due to be released soon that all have shorter barrels, which are actually more forgiving in terms of lock time. A variety of top shooters prefer the shorter barrel for this reason,

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Short Barrels

Hi Doc
    Good points. But please remember that this lady is only a couple of months into her shooting carreer and the "fun" element is still the most important.
    Not only that there are few of us, you may be one for all I know, who can take advantage of the shorter lock time and greater accuracy of the class of pistol you mention. You REALLY need to be up with the big boys where the standard of shooting is so high that the sort of advantage of shorter lock times and reduced fore end tremmor can actually affect the outcome of a match. Look at the pistols which are selling well and you will find that the fun end is waaaaay out in front. Yes there are dedicated people who represent us at Olympic levels and they should be respected. Perhaps Clare will develope into one of them but for the rest of us whose shooting is more limp than Olympic in standard all we can hope for is to improve and enjoy the practice.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Thank you Gentlemen.

In no way do I think sticking a fake silencer will make the CP99 as good as the LP10.

I am just trying to figure out if there is anything I can to improve the CP99, even a little.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about the trigger stopping before it fires? Having a smoother trigger rather than it stopping dead would be a great help.

Clare
    I am a Lady

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Doc
    Good points. But please remember that this lady is only a couple of months into her shooting carreer and the "fun" element is still the most important.
    Not only that there are few of us, you may be one for all I know, who can take advantage of the shorter lock time and greater accuracy of the class of pistol you mention. You REALLY need to be up with the big boys where the standard of shooting is so high that the sort of advantage of shorter lock times and reduced fore end tremmor can actually affect the outcome of a match. Look at the pistols which are selling well and you will find that the fun end is waaaaay out in front. Yes there are dedicated people who represent us at Olympic levels and they should be respected. Perhaps Clare will develope into one of them but for the rest of us whose shooting is more limp than Olympic in standard all we can hope for is to improve and enjoy the practice.
    No, I think you have missed my point - if you read what I said, I was actually making sure that the original poster wasn't being too hard on the cp99 when in comparison to the steyr. The point I was making is they are worlds apart, and the steyr has other variables that make is better and easier to shoot vs. the cp99. As for the fun end, if I didn't have fun shooting, I wouldn't bother.....hence why I gave up FT for 10 m pistol

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

I would guess Cookie was referring to the sight base, the distance between the rear and foresight. With a longer barrel the foresight is further away. This reduces the error in where the barrel is pointing in relation to the sight picture. It's simple geometry. Sticking the silencer back on won't make any difference at all unless you can fix the foresight to the silencer thus getting it further away from the rear sight.
    Hope that makes sense, if not I can show you on a simple diagram if you make it to Coventry.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

There's much more to it than the sight base I think. It's the balance and the grips.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

JefL & Target Bunny,

So if I stick a blob of blue tack to the front of the silencer (just to trial it) and look at that rather than the little black bit it may help? It would be an interesting to see if it makes any minor improvement.

Would this mean having to readjust where I am aiming?

Sorry to keep asking silly questions, but I want to know how things work and how I can get the best out of my pistol.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

Clare
    I am a Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    There's much more to it than the sight base I think. It's the balance and the grips.
    I have to say the LP10 was lovely to shoot. It felt so light and comfortable compared to the CP99. I totally agree that balance and grip comes into it as well, but that is down to me practising. What I am looking for is if there is any way of improving the pistol itself. Although I think my main stumbling block is the sticky trigger action.

Clare
    I am a Lady

That may work Clare, although it may play havoc with the elevation. You aim just the same as with the normal sight*, it's just that the longer distance between the sights helps to align the barrel with the point of aim.

*don't be surprised if you end up shooting low with a blob of blu-tack stuck up there on top of the silencer, I think the CP99 has a non-adjustable rear sight so you may then have to adjust your point of aim upwards. This may then cause a problem if the target disappears behind the end of the barrel, the big disadvantage of fixed sights.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Hi Clare, as you know I had a CP99, just sold mine on. You're right there is a definate stop on the trigger in single or double action. I have very large strong hands, not boasting just a fact, and I found the trigger really annoying. I tried the ideas for lubeing the mech but it made no real difference. I have a Gamo Compact and that has a much sweeter trigger action, I've also got an HW 45 .22 that has such a light trigger that I've had it fire at a target when I wasn't expecting it. Cookie will be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I think the sweetest trigger on a Co2 pistol at the moment is the Smith & Wesson 586. The 8" barrel is the most accurate/heaviest, the 6" barrel is the most balanced but also quite heavy, the 4" barrel is suprisingly light and quite accurate. You can try mine at the meet if you want. After that I would say the Colt 1911 is a really nice pistol but you need quite a firm grip to activate the grip safety. You are more than welcome to try the Gamo & HW45 if you wish. Try not to be put off by the CP99 it's a "fun" pistol more than a "target" pistol.

ATB

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it