edbear2 Guest

Diana air rifles in 1914

A great advert.........shame I can't speak the lingo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7608030264100/

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    A great advert.........shame I can't speak the lingo

If my work computer would let me view the link I'd have a go at it.
    A few helpful words might be:-
    Glatt (or glatter lauf)= smooth bore (barrel)
    Getzogen (or getzogenes lauf)= rifled (barrel)
    Nussbaum= Walnut
    Buchenholtz= Beech
    Schaft= Stock
    Kolben= Butt
    Kugel(n)= Pellet(s)
    Visier= Sights
    Korn= Foresight
    Kimme= Rearsight
    Stahl= Steel
    Blei= Lead
    Messing= Brass
    Hersteller= Manufacturer
    Leder= Leather
    Mundung= Muzzle
    Abzug= Trigger
    Hebel= Lever
    Spann= Cock (as related to guns)
    Geweher= Rifle
    Pistol= I'll let you guess that one
    Luft= Air
    That lot any good to you?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Aha, now that I can see the advert, I also see that my little glossary was of no use at all!
    GERMAN YOUTH
    must learn shooting, they may need it when they are adults. Those who learn early will gain a steady hand, sharp eye and ????????? It's a fine (skill?) to learn and will be useful for the rest of your life.
    The last sentence I'm unsure of, but think it mentions precise shooting without all the hassle of smoke, etc.
    The next section of the advert waxes lyrical about the Diana range of guns, but I'll need a bit of time to work that out as my Deutsch is a bit rusty having not had any use for it for 10 years.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thanks for that, I love to see old Ads and catalogues etc.

Cheers

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Thanks for that, I love to see old Ads and catalogues etc.

Cheers
    Here you go then

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Aha, now that I can see the advert, I also see that my little glossary was of no use at all!
    GERMAN YOUTH
    must learn shooting, they may need it when they are adults. Those who learn early will gain a steady hand, sharp eye and ????????? It's a fine (skill?) to learn and will be useful for the rest of your life.
    The last sentence I'm unsure of, but think it mentions precise shooting without all the hassle of smoke, etc.
    The next section of the advert waxes lyrical about the Diana range of guns, but I'll need a bit of time to work that out as my Deutsch is a bit rusty having not had any use for it for 10 years.
    Thanks for that!.......So, the advert copy is very much along the lines of a BSA advert of the same period.....sobering to think that the young lads at that time, in England and Germany, would soon be aiming mausers or lee-enfields at people, who had the sme youthful interests only a few short years earlier........war is insanity

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Thanks!!!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Here's a tip for anybody wanting a quick translation from most foreign languages (from Afrikaans to Yiddish) into English and vice versa. Go to the Google homepage and click on "Language Tools". In the box that says "Translate Text" type in, or cut and paste in the foreign text you want converted. Then from the drop-down boxes select the language it is already in and the language you want to convert it to (English), hit the "Translate" key and there you are.

Snags: (1) If you only have a photo of the text, you will have to type it in manually - difficult when the German is in Gothic script like the above.
    (2) The system doesn't cope well with some technical terms, so you have to use your imagination a lot. For example a "Bügelspanner Luftgewehr" is a "trigger-guard cocking air rifle", but Google translates it as a"tension bracket air rifle".

Added advantage -- you can translate a whole foreign language web page by pasting the url into the box "Translate a Web Page".

The system is great for the Russian and Swedish airgun forums. Hope this is of some help to our airgun net surfers.