Thread: What PCP Pistol..?

What PCP Pistol..?

I am looking for some advice on getting a PCP pistol and don't know what to get.

I am happy to buy a second hand one as I have had so many problems with a new one I just can't be bothered with getting new any more.

Looking for a PCP and want to avoid Falcon and Brocock (had them both and not happy with either), don't care if it's single or multi, must have open sights, but do want something with a bit of power in it. I want to use it for HFT and it needs the power to knock down the targets at 20 yards...

I like the look of the Twinmaster Top and Sport but worried about the power of them... or are they OK...?

Any suggestions....?

Thanks

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Why oh why

Would have said an FN8 without hesitation but notice you are not interested in a Falcon. What has put you off Falcon and Brocock?. Just curious.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Would have said an FN8 without hesitation but notice you are not interested in a Falcon. What has put you off Falcon and Brocock?. Just curious.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    I prefer open sight and found it very difficult to get and fit open sights to the Falcon, the Brocock was OK, I had an Atomic, but the thing went back for repair so many times in the 3 months I had it I got to use it once...! so have no confidence in them any more...
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

Pistol for HFT?

6ft lbs at the muzzle over 50 yards?
    .177 or not surely it won't have enough clout at that range to topple a plate?
    Last edited by camies; 26-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camies View Post
    6ft lbs over 50 yards?
    .177 or not surely it won't have enough clout at that range to topple a plate?
    20 yards, not 50.....

Oops!

Ok, 20 yards and most 6ftlb / .177 deliver about 3.5ftlbs.

Must learn to read!

Just surprised that there is a HFT for pistols as the only thing I use my hw45 for is to dispatch rats in cages and ventilating empty coke cans.

It's accurate enough as I can keep within a 1 inch group at that range but for competition work, non really.
    You must be one hell of a shot!

Ok, 20 yards and most 6ftlb / .177 deliver about 3.5ftlbs.

Must learn to read!

Just surprised that there is a HFT for pistols as the only thing I use my hw45 for is to dispatch rats in cages and ventilating empty coke cans.

It's accurate enough as I can keep within a 1 inch group at that range but for competition work, non really.
    yes there is pistol for hft and its quite popular.
    the rohm top or sport is a very accurate pistol

Why thank you.

Learn something new every day!

Still, me and my pistol will remain pest control and canning exponents leaving you experts to shoot it out.

A few weeks ago we had a pistol comp at our club, 30 targets (standard knock down ones) set between 6 and 20 yards. I was using the Atomic (with it's open sights and before it went wrong) The scoring (with open sights) was 1 for a plate, 5 for a knock down, 0 for a miss. So out of a max of 150 I got 81, so not bad I think....

See!

Thought you might be a good shot!

I'll stick to ratting at 12 inches although the woodie nibbling my strawberrys earlier on in the year got a nasty shock at 25 yards. Head shot, nice and clean, tasted ok too! (touch of strawberry flavouring I think)

PCP pistol

At my old club (Highwood FAWC) we started shooting Silhouette Pistol comps back in 1995. At that time, there weren't too many PCP pistols about: Daystate Competa, Air Arms PP1 and the Titan jobs (now Falcon). However, as we were shooting at relatively thin double-sized silhouettes made for us by Nockover, we found that even Gamo and Nemesis single-strokes were perfectly adequate. Targets were set out at 10, 15, 20 and 25 metres with eliminator rams at 30, 35 and 40 metres.

After a spell at Theydon Bois FTC and Mays, the comp lives on at Thorpe Hall HFTC where the keenest shooters are now using Brococks. I have the Atomic in .22 and Aim X in .177 but find them somewhat unwieldy. The PP1 and Titan sit better in the hand. I suspect that a lot of the clubs shooting Pistol HFT are using targets that require lower than normal strike energy to trip the mechanisms, so you may find that you don't require 6 ft.lbs. to be competitive. Current favourite for silhouettes is the HW40 although I've been hearing good reports on the Webley Alecto (can't be worse than their last effort, can it?).

DJC

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I am looking for some advice on getting a PCP pistol and don't know what to get.

I am happy to buy a second hand one as I have had so many problems with a new one I just can't be bothered with getting new any more.

Looking for a PCP and want to avoid Falcon and Brocock (had them both and not happy with either), don't care if it's single or multi, must have open sights, but do want something with a bit of power in it. I want to use it for HFT and it needs the power to knock down the targets at 20 yards...

I like the look of the Twinmaster Top and Sport but worried about the power of them... or are they OK...?

Any suggestions....?

Thanks

Dave
    We have an HFT pistol course at the club and the knockdown targets needed to be tweaked by fixing halg a nut under the elbow of the kill plate lever so that it would fall more easily. If you don't do that then even an HW45 at 5ftlbs won't do the job. With this adjustment a Rohm twinmaster will do the trick at 20yd.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The Twinmasters start at around 3 ft/lbs but can be brought up to legal limit,
    Regards,
    Nick

Not just HFT, pistol FT is a popular and long running part of the NEFTA winter league. Targets are lollipop or silhouette types where the whole target falls back when hit, reset with a cord, from about 5 yards or less to 25 yards.

The Rohms seem to be the most popular pistols in this comp, with scopes or red dots. A few Steyrs, Falcons and Aim-Xs, the odd HW40 or HW45, and I've seen one or two Sheridan/Crosman CO2 jobbies.

Here's my current rig: Steyr LP10

And my old Rohm Twinmaster rigRohm Top
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius