Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Target air pistol

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by franktheferret View Post
    I have found the Gamo Compact to be an excellent pistol, but the grip is too big for me. The HW40 and Webley Nemesis are also excellent. They all require quite a lot of strength to cock.

Most of the CO2 pistols would be a better bet, as long as they have a hammer that can be cocked to allow precision shots, as well as fast-fire fun. I love my S&W because I can blast off ten fast shots and hit the target nearly every time, or I can cock the hammer for each shot and hit the bull nearly every time.
    I tried another member's Gamo compact at the club last night and it was a lot easier to cock than a HW40 and seemed less likely to take my nipples off. I thought the trigger was a little sticky but that might not be the general case.

i have a gamo compact exellent pistol very accurate one hole group at ten metres trigger on mine is just like a switch very nice ps whats with everybody on here weaklings or what so easy to cock !!!! wheres the problem bought mine off here as new cased with instructions etc for £95 delivered just a few weeks ago

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...05#post3955405

Very easy to cock and load, extremely accurate, recoilless, never wears out, needs no maintenance, holds value, beautiful, powerful and has won Olympic medals in years gone by.

Much better than anything else for the money.

(dont know the vendor, the model of gun is what I am on about)
    Is this an SSP?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    HW40 if she can manage a single stroke pneumatic.
    They're fun plinkers, but I wouldn't consider them as serious target pistols.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

No Jim, its a spring with a sliding 'sledge' (not my word) system that makes it almost recoilless. Very accurate, superb German engineering with an excellent multi-adjustable trigger.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    No Jim, its a spring with a sliding 'sledge' (not my word) system that makes it almost recoilless. Very accurate, superb German engineering with an excellent multi-adjustable trigger.
    Interesting! I would never have thought a springer. Sounds worth looking into. Thanks, Jef!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 13-12-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Jim...the FWB 65 is a superb target pistol!!
    I've just aquired one and couldn't believe how accurate it is...it just felt right in my hand and first couple of shots were in the 9 ring which for me is good...
    Haven't had a chance to have a real session with it yet but it could be a keeper..
    Eric.

Thumbs up Hard to beat for the price

Found this info I have a 717 & could not agree more with what this fella wrote about it

"
    The Daisy 717, 747 and 777

The Daisy 717 first appeared back in the 1970s, and serious target shooters looked down it it from the beginning. I mean, it’s a Daisy, for goodness sake- they make BB guns! and it looked pretty crude, too, with a cast white metal frame, brass barrel, and cheap plastic grips. And then something strange happened- 717s started showing up at matches, and winning them. These were guns pretty much right out of the box, too, with stock poweplant and grips, and occasionally modified sights. A $50 gun from Arkansas was beating some very fancy $250+ European guns, particularly when given a trigger job developed by shooting legend Don Nygord, who published it in the April 1980 American Marksman. http://mind.dreamhost.com/gallery2/m...serialNumber=1
    Daisy took notice of this, and started making two improved versions- the 747, which is identical, save for a Lothar Walther steel barrel in place of the stock barrel, and the 777 (now discontinued), which added better metal sights, an adjustible trigger, and wood grips. Being a poor grad student in the 1980s, I bought a 717, and with it learned the basics of good pistol shooting. I made my own custom hand-fitting grips out of epoxy, but otherwise left it alone.
    What made this gun so good right out of the box? For one thing, it had a single-stroke pneumatic poweplant, a fairly new concept in those days. The result was exceptional shot to shot consistency- far better than most spring guns, and a lot better than many of the new CO2 powered match guns. A few drops of Daisy oil on the compression chamber O-ring and an occasional swab of the barrel were all that were needed to keep it shooting in the X-ring. The excellent balance and long sight radius helped, too.
    The 717 and 747 are still an excellent choice for the new- and maybe intermediate- target and silhouette shooter. With retail prices as low as $138 for the 747 and $110 for the 717, it’s hard to find a better value in a target pistol today."
    I don't drive fast. I just fly low

Hi
    As a girlie....... it took me a lot of effort to get used to the weight of a Tau 7, now I love it to bits. It is brilliant as a match standard pistol if you don't want to pay for a PCP. But note I have large hands for a girl and also was using this pistol 3-4x per week for the first six months - on-job weight lifting if you like!!! Its not light and the grip is quite large.

If you are truely looking for cheap, easy and great for plinking then the HW40 is a good pistol at about £120. Its not match standard though.

Linnet67
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

Was talking about the CO2 crosmans really. The multipumps get annoying VERY fast. But they're no matchpistols ofcourse.
    The Tau junior is awesome, really recommand it.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by tomh View Post
    Didnt realise they were that expensive, can much be had for the sub £100 as its only for plinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    They're fun plinkers, but I wouldn't consider them as serious target pistols.

Jim
    Jim,

I based the recommendation upon what the original poster was asking for.

In my experience the HW40 is a damned fine plinker and has the inherent accuracy to be an entry level target pistol. Serious target work, different kettle of fish, but the original poster did state quite a limited budget.

Regarding the FWB Mod65, think FWB 300 rifle system applied to a pistol.

Dale

If it were me I would definitely check out that Drulov single shot at £99. I've never seen one in the flesh but it seems to tick all the boxes.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Brocock

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Jim...the FWB 65 is a superb target pistol!!
    I've just aquired one and couldn't believe how accurate it is...it just felt right in my hand and first couple of shots were in the 9 ring which for me is good...
    Haven't had a chance to have a real session with it yet but it could be a keeper..
    Eric.
    Sorry 2 butt in but notice you have the Atomic .177. Do you have a silencer on it and where did u get it? Sorry Owen

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Don't discount the Rohm altogether, if you keep your eyes open you can find a bargain, I picked my first up for £220 then another last month for £160, it was single action only as the double action bits were in a bag??? but it's no good on double action once you've had it legal-limit tuned
    If you want to have the option of action shooting then the Umarex S&W revolvers are a good choice, barrel is fixed to the frame so sights don't vary alignment and full bore aftermarket revolver sights can be fitted by a competent Gunsmith if you don't like the Umarex units,
    Regards,
    Nick

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Don't discount the Rohm altogether, if you keep your eyes open you can find a bargain, I picked my first up for £220 then another last month for £160, it was single action only as the double action bits were in a bag??? but it's no good on double action once you've had it legal-limit tuned Regards,
    Nick
    hey nick just wondering why is it no good on double action after being tuned? is it to do with recoil or? i no nothing about the rohm pistols, other than there big shiny and cost megga bucks.
    sol
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.