Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size grouping at 10m?

What size grouping at 10m?

Hi all,
    Just got a new pistol and wondered what size grouping i should be trying to achieve (obviously the smaller the better) at 10m without being laughed at preferably

What is acceptable to be classed as good. (Using HW45)

Thanks liam.

one hole
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Follow this link to the UBC 10mtr comp page. That will give you some ideas.

http://www.ubc.btik.com/p_10m_Result...der_Board.ikml

ATB
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

If you can get them all in the black (6cm) no-one has any reason to find it amusing.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I've just started having a go at semi-serious pistol shooting and this pic is a 20 yard target (all I had) which I shot at 10 metres. Ignore the tear marks at the bottom, they are from a previous effort. This is ten pellets and apart from the one that is a bit high they are inside a 40mm circle.

The group is not central because I haven't done the up-and-down zero yet. I'll probably shoot 20 yards anyway.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ondcard10m.jpg

Edit. I meant to add, the ragged hole at 4 o'clock is part of the previous effort, please look at the group above the centre line.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkyshot View Post
    Hi all,
    Just got a new pistol and wondered what size grouping i should be trying to achieve (obviously the smaller the better) at 10m without being laughed at preferably

What is acceptable to be classed as good. (Using HW45)

Thanks liam.

Hi Wonkyshot, is this done with your new HW45 Silver (lucky b'stard) ?

If it's a new pistol it will take some time to settle in, maybe a couple of tins.
    Is your grip/stance the same for every shot? From observations folk often hold pistols too tightly.

Single or two handed grip?

Either way it's good. Practice will improve the score considerably, keep shooting so you know the feel and touch of your gun.

Try this, lower the gun to the 45degree (unloaded) close your eyes and raise to the shooting position then open your eyes and see if you're near the bulls-eye.

It will take time but you'll soon be putting pellet on pellet.

Good luck, Phil

I'm happy when I see 90% of my shots in a regged hole in/near the 9/10 ring.
    Thats about in the 350's ex 400, or 180's ex 200.
    Thats with my Tau 7 Match. With the Tau 7 Silhouet I can shoot ragged holes of even 5 or 10 shots. Its só amazingly accurate and easy to shoot!
    I'm not happy otherwise. I dont really care about points, grouping is most important.
    Decent is 90% within circle 8 ring I guess.
    Some flyers are normal..
    I can post some group pics too if you like.
    ATB,
    yana

Wonkyshot. Apologies if you know this but the HW needs running in with say 200 fun shots before you get serious. And find your best pellet!
    I have a Silver Star in .22 ,despite the little voice that said... you know you should buy .177...Just come on song and very happy with it in a Dirty Harry way.
    No bull left at 6 Yards. getting there at !0 metres

Hi there im new to this also, ive joined your club and want to compete with out looking an idiot. Ive just bought a Webley alnico or what ever its called, sorry i got a bad memory,,, and wondered if theres a running in period with these with them not being like a spring and no recoil should they be good to go more or less out of the box or should i rn this in for a period of time before shooting it seriously for the comps...many thanks
    ps pellets for comp shooting,,,is it flat nose or dome which is the best i would assume flat nose for paper but im not sure thanks

cheers guys,

Re. Phil G
    Yes my new HW45 silver.
    I'm going to concentrate on a two handed stance as this is hard enough for a newbie pistol shooter..I'm not expecting miricals but hopefully i can get some good consistancy going, and i know it will not be fully settled in yet but for me it is probably more me being all over the place than the gun not running in!!

Re. gingernut
    I would say i have just shot around the 200 mark but i'm still not taking it too serious just wondered what I should be expecting to group with this pistol.

Re. Paul55
    Thanks mate for the link, i have now signed up and will be seeing how i shoot in the comps (only for a giggle and to see how i progress over the months), not expecting great things yet. If i do get addicted then you will be hearing from my other half

Regards,
    Liam.

With the .22 with verminpells at 6yds 6 shots there is a large hole where the bull was. At 10 metres they all go in the colours not really groups yet. This is with a two handed stance and 10 m target.
    My standard .177 is more accurate at 10 metres but is not as nice to hold as the Star. Again two hands.
    45s last forever, age well and are great fun.Some of the UBC men do really well with them. I would choose something easier to compete with!
    IMO before anyone starts.

Try to get every pellet into the black to start with, and build from there. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommemd zeroing your gun so that you shoot "sub-six" - that's placing the sights at six o'clock below the black centre and burning that sight picture into your memory.

If you aim for the bull, you tend to lose the black sights against the black background, whereas with sub-six, you have a nice clear picture of black sights against white paper.

rapid7max - the Alecto should be good to go out of the box and will just get tighter as it runs in. Whilst it's new, try pumping it twice - you should see an immediate improvement in group size if you do your bit. Alectos like Gecos.

Hope that helps,

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Try to get every pellet into the black to start with, and build from there. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommemd zeroing your gun so that you shoot "sub-six" - that's placing the sights at six o'clock below the black centre and burning that sight picture into your memory.

If you aim for the bull, you tend to lose the black sights against the black background, whereas with sub-six, you have a nice clear picture of black sights against white paper.

Mike.
    Cheers mike, i'll try that.

Regards,
    Liam.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Try to get every pellet into the black to start with,
    Mike.
    That was the advice I was given too.

9 months ago

I'm still trying to achieve it

But I am getting closer, at least now I can get them all in the 5 ring or better.

I really need to practice 10m more, but I enjoy all the 6yd stuff so much I never seem to get the time.

........and it's a lot further to walk to the target and back.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    That was the advice I was given too.

9 months ago

I'm still trying to achieve it

But I am getting closer, at least now I can get them all in the 5 ring or better.

I really need to practice 10m more, but I enjoy all the 6yd stuff so much I never seem to get the time.

........and it's a lot further to walk to the target and back.
    I have to admit that it's counter-intuitive Jef, it certainly was for me in the beginning after a lifetine of aiming for what I'm shooting at.

All I know is that it's worked for me and for countless other target pistol shooters out there; the way I see it is that if you can see your sights clearly, then that sight-picture gets burned into your mind. After that, with lots of practice, muscle memory follows.

Once you have those two nailed, it's on to breathing.

Sounds easy, doesn't it?